• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A harp solo?? The last thing I thought *I* would have posted...

Share/Bookmark

sample #2: A harp solo?? The last thing I thought *I* would have posted...

My second posting... actually a "redo" of something I wrote about a year ago, which I've been playing on piano. (using "playing" and "piano" loosely here because my piano technique would make a real pianist cringe)

But I tried it on the GPO chromatic harp 1 and it seemed to fit almost perfectly!

But, I have no idea if this is even DOABLE on a harp. It might be difficult or impossible.
    What is the world coming to, when percussionists are writing harp solos??

http://j.bruce.home.mindspring.com/mp3/motion.mp3

I can never think of titles so it's "unnamed piece with constant motion." A Moto Perpetuo for Harp.

I just played it in realtime and exported the audio.

Thumbs up Re: A harp solo?? The last thing I thought *I* would have posted...

Of course you know with this piece you are striking Mr. G right where it counts, right?
    So, what's wrong with your piano ability? Did you play this in all live? It's quite soooooooothing but needs a bit or dynamics I think. Not much, just enough to give it more emotion and texture.
    Overall, nice!
    Styxx

Re: A harp solo?? The last thing I thought *I* would have posted...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Of course you know with this piece you are striking Mr. G right where it counts, right?
    So, what's wrong with your piano ability? Did you play this in all live? It's quite soooooooothing but needs a bit or dynamics I think. Not much, just enough to give it more emotion and texture.
    Overall, nice!

My piano technique is about 90% derived from playing marimba pieces on a piano. So there's a lot of goofy 4-finger stuff going on. I know my way around the piano keyboard, just with rather non-traditional technique.

So yes, I did play that all live (had to correct 2 notes afterwards).

It's good enough to get the job done for sequencing any orchestral parts in realtime, like I did in my first example, but don't expect to hear any piano concertos from me.

I agree about it needing more dynamics, actually when I do it on a piano there's a bit more variety since the dynamic range is greater and I vary the use of the sustain pedal, but I had to do without the pedal when I played on the harp patch.

I'd actually prefer to use an additional octave of range as well-- but I'm limited by my 61-key synth and there aren't any breaks where I can transpose it when playing live.

So I'll see what else I can do with it.

...come to think of it, I might scrap the harp idea altogether, as pretty as the instrument sounds. But this certainly would be a nice one to arrange for percussion ensemble.

I'm listening to the harp version right now and thinking "this is some really good ELEVATOR music."

A couple of marimbas, xylophone, vibes, and chimes, plus a background groove on nonpitched percussion, would be more interesting.

Thumbs up Re: A harp solo?? The last thing I thought *I* would have posted...

What percussion ensemble compositions are you familiar with? It's not usual for me to grab the opportunity to converse with a fellow percussionist especially one of your caliber! I'm curious if you have ever heard of Professor Tony Miranda? He has written many awesome and very complicated percussion pieces for ensemble and solo percussion as well as drum kit. You could do a google search on his name and you should come across the man. He was and still is a driving inspiration to many percussionists around the world.
    Just curious.
    Styxx

Whether it's doable on a harp or not, I love it! What a delightful work! You are a very talented composer. Do you have other works that we may hear?

Let us hear more from you, please.

Best regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What percussion ensemble compositions are you familiar with? It's not usual for me to grab the opportunity to converse with a fellow percussionist especially one of your caliber! I'm curious if you have ever heard of Professor Tony Miranda? He has written many awesome and very complicated percussion pieces for ensemble and solo percussion as well as drum kit. You could do a google search on his name and you should come across the man. He was and still is a driving inspiration to many percussionists around the world.
    Just curious.

I'm familiar with the whole gamut.... I played in percussion ensemble throughout college, so I imagine I've played at least one Miranda piece.

I like the George Green arrangements with solo xylophone + percussion ensemble, though I can only play a few of them. I've done Triplets, Spanish Waltz, Log Cabin Blues, stuff like that.

I don't get into most of the more esoteric and minimalist stuff though... in one piece I was dropping paperclips on a glockenspiel. I forget who composed that one.

Probably the most difficult one I've done was on my senior recital, a multi-percussion duet called Extension of a Dream by Alvin Singleton.

Nowadays I haven't been playing in any ensembles... I play solo frame drum (have you heard/seen Glen Velez?) as well as competitive scottish pipe band drumming, so it keeps me busy. My mallet keyboard chops have wilted.

What about yourself? It's definitely cool to run into other percussionists! We're rather uncommon, you know.

Ah, this is absolutely beautiful! And you played live? Well done!

Do you have a piano score? I can't really play the piano well yet, and this piece is probably way beyond my skill, but it's one of those pieces I'd love to practice with.

After listening to just two of your pieces, I'm already a fan of your work. Keep the good music coming! Thanks for sharing, I'll be listening to this piece for a while.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Ah, this is absolutely beautiful! And you played live? Well done!

Do you have a piano score? I can't really play the piano well yet, and this piece is probably way beyond my skill, but it's one of those pieces I'd love to practice with.

After listening to just two of your pieces, I'm already a fan of your work. Keep the good music coming! Thanks for sharing, I'll be listening to this piece for a while.

Actually I think it's great for a beginning piano player. The first 2/3 of it are mostly played on the white keys!

Also, your hands are doing almost the same basic movement throughout, just shifting around. I can have Sonar generate a score for you. When I do it on piano I play at a faster tempo than this harp version, so it has more momentum, but it almost blows by too quick from a listener standpoint. Good exercise though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thud
    Actually I think it's great for a beginning piano player. The first 2/3 of it are mostly played on the white keys!

Also, your hands are doing almost the same basic movement throughout, just shifting around. I can have Sonar generate a score for you. When I do it on piano I play at a faster tempo than this harp version, so it has more momentum, but it almost blows by too quick from a listener standpoint. Good exercise though.
    Thank you! It would be awesome to have a score of this, I can't stop listening.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast