• Register
  • Help

Topic: New piece, need advice on brass stabs please

Share/Bookmark

New piece, need advice on brass stabs please

After having GPO for just over a week, I decided to begin work on a new piece. However, I came across an issue today. I really need some advice on how to achieve a big "punchy" brass stab. Listen to this so far and you'll see what I mean.

Need advice

At 1:43, there is a big chord played by the brass section (3 F horns, 2 trumpets and 1 trombone) but it just doesn't seem to have the punch I want on the beat. I have tried using max velocity and mod on all brass instruments at that point but it still doesn't quite give the desired effect.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.
    Many thanks,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Re: New piece, need advice on brass stabs please

Yep, trumpet and F Horn overlays are in there I just need a faster attack on those I guess.

Kinvint, place all of your horns for that passage (chord strike) in a separate stereo buss of your sequencer, then insert a compressor on it. Set the compressor's ratio to around 10:1, nd set the attack as slow as you can, and the release as fast as you can. Then, adjust the threshhold so that the chord spike is compressed heavily. With a slow attack time, the compressor is too late to compress the attack of the chord, leaving it untouched, but then right after the attack the rest is lowered in relation. This massively compressed signal can then be ADDED to the mix. You will have all the punch you ever dreamed of. Try this on a kick drum and snare for pop tunes. remember, you are not compressing the original tracks, leave them alone, but add this "compressed horns" track.
    Nice work!
    DPDAN

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Kinvint, place all of your horns for that passage (chord strike) in a separate stereo buss of your sequencer, then insert a compressor on it. Set the compressor's ratio to around 10:1, nd set the attack as slow as you can, and the release as fast as you can. Then, adjust the threshhold so that the chord spike is compressed heavily. With a slow attack time, the compressor is too late to compress the attack of the chord, leaving it untouched, but then right after the attack the rest is lowered in relation. This massively compressed signal can then be ADDED to the mix. You will have all the punch you ever dreamed of. Try this on a kick drum and snare for pop tunes. remember, you are not compressing the original tracks, leave them alone, but add this "compressed horns" track.
    Nice work!
    DPDAN
    Thanks DpDan, I like the idea you've suggested and I'll give that a try, although placing all the horns onto another bus would mean using another GPO VST and loading up their sounds again....unless you know a way to "copy" only the ones needed over to another stereo bus

Thanks again,your help is much appreciated.
    Kin

I'm not sure what sequencer (DAW) you are using, but I would recommend making a stereo mix (bounce to disc) or record just the horns to a stereo audio track, then use this track to compress the snot out of, euwww sorry,

DPDAN

Thanks again. I'm using Cubase SE. I guess I could mix those down to audio and lay that back on the mix as one stereo track, or I could copy tracks and add the compressor as a send, to each of the new tracks. I like to have control over each instrument separatley rather than bouncing tracks together...
    however, more tracks + more effects = louder yelling from Mr. CPU.

Thanks for your advice.
    Regards,
    Kin

.................................................. .
    DPDAN

Go Back to forum