• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help Choosing String Library for ROCK & ROLL

Share/Bookmark

Help Choosing String Library for ROCK & ROLL

Hey Peoples,

So, I need a string library that will work well with rock and roll music. You know a bit of cello and violin here and there for dramatic effect. Maybe some simple orchestration passages every once in a while. I already own EWQLSO Gold, but this library has way too much reverb (and sounds way too big) to easily work into a song with distorted guitar and screaming vocals. Also, EWQLSO doesn't have enough solo instruments for me. So, any suggestions? I am currently considering VSL Horizons solo strings, Kirk Hunter Concert Strings, etc... But, I am totally lost as to which to purchase. My only requirements are the following: (1) must be for Kontakt (not GS3), (2) must be under $1,000. So, please let me know your thoughts (if you have any).

Re: Help Choosing String Library for ROCK & ROLL

VSL's chamber stuff would probably be good

Siedleczeck had a lib called Perfect Strings or something that would work too, but its only violins.

Depends on what you're after really, but I think VSL is your best bet, it can cover sharp biting passages and low moving legato lines really well and still cut through a mix.

If its not fat enough layer in a string patch from a roland keyboard and mix it together
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Thanks for the advice KingIdiot. You think that the VSL Chamber Strings is a better solution than the VSL Solo Strings?

For record work I'd probably go with VSL or any of the Kirk Hunter libraries. I think your intial impulse is right.

With EWQLSO I'm getting more of a movie/symphony sound which I love but I don't think that I would use it on a record.

I think any library that has smaller string sections and that is relatively dry would work well for records. When I do records I seem to get the best results with no more than 30 players. So if I used a library I'd go for one that had chamber strings and kick butt solo ww. Then I'd go for a pop brass library or hire a small live brass section. If the budget wasn't there for a full session with live players.

Cheers,

Jose

You might want to check out Session Strings:

www.mtlc.net/main.php?a=scd&ShowCD=1647

It’s a smaller library than the ones mentioned, but then so is the price tag.

Great value at $86.40. Here’s an mp3 example:

http://demo.bigfishaudio.net/demo/stringenz1.mp3

/Yoss

Colossus has string ensembles created with the close mics in EWQLSO and the middle eastern string section straight notes which are fantastic for pop. They are very dry with 4 viloins on the left and 3 cellos on the right playing one octave down.

You can't go wrong with the VSL solo strings - they are amazing. The chamber strings are also very impressive - I guess it depends what you want most, pure solo or an ensemble? Or maybe both?

check out also Virtuoso strings by Kirk Hunter.
    It's an older library but has a definite "bite" to the sound and could transalate well in context of an edgy overall vibe.
    It also contains smaller ensembles which could work out weel for your needs.
    I have the giga version and I find using them more and more when I do rock stuff.

best

Yves

Quote Originally Posted by KingIdiot
    VSL's chamber stuff would probably be good...
    Actually, it is good.

I bought Chamber Strings last summer, for this very reason. All the Orchestral libraries I own are very good, but most pop/rock are done with smaller sections. (especially with today's budgets!).

Chamber Strings totally delivers. I produce mostly pop/rock, and I use these strings A LOT.

And when I need a bit more texture, any of the other libraries "tucked" way underneath usually does the trick. I've had success using them alone, or layered with Kirk's solo strings, or his Virtuoso Strings, or even Garritan Orchestral Strings.

Highly recommended...

I figured they'd be really good for that!

thanks Jaimo!

The reason I recommend VSL is that it comes with alot of articulations to cover your ~~~. It will do both sharp stacatto stuff (gathering form the pro edition that I have) as well as smooth legato as well as lyrical.

ick's right the Middle Eastern Strings in Colossus really work for pop/rock stuff too. They have a nice bite and character that come through.

Actually I'm using alot of collosus on my rock stuff, I almost DONT want to recommend it because I like it and want to have it to myself!

noexit, it all depends on what you're after, in terms of articulations and mood/sound
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Go Back to forum