• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dumb Question

Share/Bookmark

Question Dumb Question

OK, I've just gotten into this whole sample library buisness, so this may be a dumb question.
    How do you create your own sample library?
    I've always wanted to create my own orchestra that runs in DXI. How do I do it? And on a somewhat limited budget?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Chris

Re: Dumb Question

errr? if u mean recording it yourself and an orchestral library i dont think "limited budget" and "create my own library" mate together very happily!!!!!(but there is room for manouver if u keep it small)
    what samples are u interested in creating?

1. Get a good mic or mics, a good room and a good recording device
    2. Get the instrument(s) in there and record all sounds you wish to have
    3. Move all of the recordings into the computer and cut them up, edit them and categorize, equalize and save them all in the same format and a logical name system etc.
    4. Open your sampler application
    5. Import the edited sounds into the sampler and make / edit programs by placing and adjusting the functions of the different files from your recording.
    6. Testrun, adjust, testrun, adjust, testrun, adjust etc etc ..
    7. Done

This is the process, however very simplified.
    Also, as point 0 it should say "plan the recordings according to how you are going to distribute the sounds in your sampler programs", but in order to do that you need to know your target sampler very well first.

Hope this helps as a start
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    5. Import the edited sounds into the sampler and make / edit programs by placing and adjusting the functions of the different files from your recording.
    ...but in order to do that you need to know your target sampler very well first.
    I've been looking into GigaStudio 3 and I was wondering if there was a more simpler version of that somewhere out there in the digital domain. And something that works in DXI. That's my main priority, because my sequencer is a little on the old side and doesn't support VST.
    I have the room and instruments and players and everything, (It is best to use a dead room, right? So you can adjust the reverb?) but I don't have the sampling software.
    Any recomendations?

Chris

Kontakt works as a DXi, ther are other options as well

on teh "room" thing

I think yuo might want to take a day (or to...ora week) a LARGE cup of coffee, some headache meds and do a search on reverb, orchestral libraries and stuff like that here

Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

haha like that Geico-sized coffee cup from their commercial

Actually, a good place to 'start' would be just to record some effects or what not from orchestral instruments - bring in a violinist and record them doing runs in different keys. That would give you some 'accents' for your own work that no one else will have.

And for coffee, splenda is better for you than sweet n low.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I've been looking into GigaStudio 3 and I was wondering if there was a more simpler version of that somewhere ... something that works in DXI ... because my sequencer is a little on the old side and doesn't support VST.
    I have the room and instruments and players and everything, (It is best to use a dead room, right?) but I don't have the sampling software.
    Any recomendations?
    Gigastudio comes in 3 different versions, from small to large. Check out their website for more info. Besides GS there are several good sampleplayers (and samplers) out there. Steinberg's Halion 3 runs as a standalone, as does kontakt and kompakt from native instruments. Speedsoft Vsampler is a small thing too that runs DX and there are others as well. Google around.

Using a dead room is probably good to start out with. But the acoustics of the recording place (a 'dead' space affects the sound as well) is an important aspect. Try recording the same thing in different places and see what happens to the sound.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum