• Register
  • Help

Topic: CC 11 (expression) and Giga

Share/Bookmark

CC 11 (expression) and Giga

Do sample libraries respond to CC11 by default, or do they have to be edited?

I programmed the slider on my contrller keybaord to CC11, but nothing responds to it.

Is this a Sonar setting, Giga setting, or is it done by editing each gig file?

Re: CC 11 (expression) and Giga

Hi Mitch, not neccessarily. Many of them respond to CC1 Mod Wheel too.

This really confused me at first. For example with Gos expression seems to be controlled via CC1 but when King released his K.I. strings they responded to CC11. Both CC\'s were altering the expression of the instruments though.

I am no expert in this at all but this has been my experience.

Scott.

All patches should respond to CC11 by default. Have yet to find one that doesn\'t.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    All patches should respond to CC11 by default. Have yet to find one that doesn\'t.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ok, so it must be a setting in Sonar or Giga that isn\'t passing the info along.

THANKS!

Sorry Mitch, to further explain what I meant; When you said;
    Do sample libraries respond to CC11 by default, or do they have to be edited?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- I thought you were referring to giga patches that have cross fade layering of different samples. For example, a vioin patch that actually has been sampled at; p, mp, mf, f

Now again I am no expert in this, but I believe that for some patches to respond to the cross fade layering you have to to trigger the right CC that it was programmed for. From memory, many of the GOS patches use CC1 to cross fade between a string patch that goes from soft to loud.

CC11 will work in as much as it will raise and lower the volume, but I believe you have to use the right CC to actually crossfade between different samples.

Perhaps someone else could confirm or refute this?

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    CC11 will work in as much as it will raise and lower the volume, but I believe you have to use the right CC to actually crossfade between different samples.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks, Scott.
    Makes me wish I\'d opted for the next controller model up, that had more programmable wheels.

By this time you probably solved your problem, but here is my 2 cents.
    The Cakewalk people do not wish to understand that CC7 is useless as a real-time controller, because when you finished your work and find that the over all volume is too high or too low on a track, you can start all over again, or have to go through considerable work to raise or lower the C7 values maintaining you contour. On the other hand, if you use CC11 for your volume adjustment, and find it too high or too low, you can adjust CC7 easily.
    I have made therefore Studiowork Panels where the sliders adjust only CC11. I do my fades and contours with these sliders and adjust CC7 after if necessary. The Console sliders adjust only CC7, useless for me.
    Some of GOS Lite instruments do not respond to CC11 but to Mod Wheel C1, they are the instruments marked as EXP.
    Your inability to get C11 working must be a problem of your keyboard set-up, sorry, I can\'t help with that.

Tiva

Go Back to forum