• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A philosophical plaudit

Share/Bookmark

A philosophical plaudit

I think it is just possible Gary Garritan has started to change the face of music.

As I went through college and worked in the news and entertainment businesses -- I found that my peers often could only afford a guitar and amp -- or building up a drum set a piece at a time. Their concentration was on small rock ensembles because no one had an affordable way of getting the sounds of a full orchestra out -- without a full orchestra.

That brought a generation of very small bands making big noises (often without a lot of melody around the electronic fuzz) and early synths were capable of unique -- but not grand sound.

When samplers came along -- we older putzes could afford to dabble -- but the younger folks could only still afford guitars and computers.

The inception of virtual samplers had been too expensive for the general computer owner to get into -- until two things occurred. GarageBand and Garrritan Personal Orchestra. Affordable -- GB runs run OK on MACs and let the person who would like more than a rock or a guitar/bass/drum ensemble start playing with REAL orchestration.

The power of GPO -- to me -- is both its price and basic approach. Add each instrument up to an orchestra -- Tis lets the tyro (as myself) not try for the "Superorchestra 50 First Violin Instrument samples doubled to 100 violins" and just getting out something that sounds like a synth imitating an orchestra.

Like any good instrument, GPO has a learning curve -- but it is based in reality, sounding real -- and and exceptionally reasonable price. Cheap enough that it got me back to my music -- good enough that I can use it for proud playback in performance of my shows, sounding real, not stolen from a soundtrack.

Thank you GG for making it easy for me to get back into music both economically and with pleasurable sounds to work with. And thank you for keeping the price low enough so younger composers do NOT have to turn into twangers and shouters just because a guitar and amp is the only instrument affordable out there.

Exclamation Re: A philosophical plaudit

I also believe that we are seeing (and, indeed, part of) a fundamental revolution in music production.

See this relatied thread ("Instant Gratification") in the "Sample Libraries Discussion" part of our host Forum: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31121

Here's a part of that long thread which may sum up things:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts

Or perhaps we are just entering the next stage in the continuous development of the orchestra:

1. Baroque chamber orchestra: strings + continuo

2. Classical chamber orchestra: strings + a few wind

3. Beethovenian orchestra: double wind, trumpets and horns.

4. Romantic orchestra: triple, and later quadruple wind. Even more brass.

5. 20th Century orchestra: Less standardisation, addition of unusual instruments.

6: 21st Century SAMPLED ORCHESTRA: A logical development, in a sense, from the reduced standardisation and increased experimentation of the 20th century. Free of the need for real players, orchestras can now have hybrid violin-flutes, as many pipe organs as you like, and panning effects like they're all moving about and sitting on each others' laps. While 20th century composers instructed players to play with new techniques, now we can take this further and apply EQ, change attacks etc until we test the boundaries of when an instrument still does or doesn't sound like itself.

Also a logical development considering that so much enjoyment of music now takes place through recordings, rather than live performance.
    Earlier, I had chimed in:
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    ... good old American competition is also driving the scene, too: Folks like Gary Garritan take a look at a $1,000 orchestral package and say "wow -- I can do that with a price point of one-fourth that and 95% of the people hearing the results won't be able to tell the difference!" Wow, indeed!

It's an exciting era!

I'm glad that I'm around to experience it!

KevinKauai
    Stick around folks! You ain't heard nothin' yet!
    Al Jolson character in "The Jazz Singer" - credited as the first "talking movie"

KevinKauai

Thumbs up Re: A philosophical plaudit

I've always said that GPO has brought the awareness as well as a ‘re-birth” of the symphony orchestra back to the forefront of music and in the hands for so many mainstreamers in so many genres of our time.
    Styxx

Re: A philosophical plaudit

In our case (that being Glass Hammer, the band) we are specifically a bunch of rockers who grew up rockers for the very reasons mentioned, and are going to realize something on our next album far beyond what we ever thought possible specifically due to the availability of these tools. Now we're not young but I have to think that eventually (probably very soon) young bands are going to have the same sorts of ideas. Our younger friends tell us that a pendulum swing back towards appreciation of musicianship and ablility in their peer listeners is in the process of occurring. All that may add up to an outburst of teenage GPO'ers (perhaps rocking GPO'ers) in the near future!! We shall just have to wait and see...

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    In our case (that being Glass Hammer, the band) we are specifically a bunch of rockers who grew up rockers for the very reasons mentioned, and are going to realize something on our next album far beyond what we ever thought possible specifically due to the availability of these tools. Now we're not young but I have to think that eventually (probably very soon) young bands are going to have the same sorts of ideas. Our younger friends tell us that a pendulum swing back towards appreciation of musicianship and ablility in their peer listeners is in the process of occurring. All that may add up to an outburst of teenage GPO'ers (perhaps rocking GPO'ers) in the near future!! We shall just have to wait and see...
    So, history does repeat itself (musically anyways)
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    So, history does repeat itself (musically anyways)
    Of course!!
    Of course!!
    Of course!!
    Of course!!
    Of course!!
    Of course!!
    Of course!!

(redundant material added to make the message long enough to post...)

When I began making music, all I had was an old electronic organ and a two track tape machine. This was fun, lots of ping pong recording, etc. But no "sound". Then came a simple analog synth and an analog sequencer. A little "sound", at last. Then the first polyphonic digital synth, some romplers and an eight track tape. But "orchestral" sound (and that's what I always dreamt of) - well, poor.
    Today, I've got an entire full blown orchestra, that sounds like an entire full blown orchestra (ok, if I don't make too many mistakes). Since I did not study music, I would never had the chance to write orchestral music, since no one would have played it and listened to it. This is just great!
    And maybe there will be entirely new ideas (coming from so many other people who now have the same possibilities) in writing music. Perhaps virtual orchestras like GPO will atually turn out as a new kind of instrument - why not do something a real orchestra isn's capable of, instead of trying to simulate a real orchestra?
    Best regards,
    Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    In our case (that being Glass Hammer, the band) we are specifically a bunch of rockers who grew up rockers...
    And don't you just love the reactions from people who thought they had you pegged? An old friend of mine, who's always known me as a rocker, emailed me back that he "was kinda surprised" when he heard the music I was promoting on the Composer Channel.

That's what I love about this stuff. It gives us the freedom to express things we've always heard in our heads (no, I don't mean the voices ) but lacked the physical means of producing. My record collection starts with AC/DC and ends with Vivaldi. Wedged in between them is Benny Goodman, Bob Marley, Travis Tritt, traditional Celtic, New Age, Paula Abdul, Greenday, James Brown, you name it. I'm excited about the new Jazz / Big Band lib so I can start realizing some of the swing stuff I've been hearing in my head for 20 years.

But wait, how can this be? I mean, after all, I'm just a rocker...

Rock on,
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Hehe- when we first started the prog thing we were known all over town as a New Age group. "Those guys are all about keyboards- they don't RAWK!!"

At the risk of blowing our own horn I think we are close to doing something reasonably unique- most former blendings of rock and symphonic music have all relied on outside composers and arrangers to add the symphonic element. This may be one of the first times a band by itself has written and orchestrated the symphonic bits of the album as well as the rocking bits. The band has grown to actually encompass the orchestra. GPO and GOS make it possible.

Okay, now you've got me drooling for the next CD...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum