• Register
  • Help

Topic: First GPO Doodle

Share/Bookmark

Talking First GPO Doodle

Hello all!

With sweaty palms I tore open the UPS box that contained my copy of GPO. I shredded the plastic wrap around the lovely DVD-style CD case and I quickly got to work installing everything.

A little setup, a LOT of auditioning of sounds (and there will be even more auditioning of sounds ), and VIOLA! (yes that was on purpose ) my first piece using GPO.

GPO1-Dreamy.mp3
    (I think you have to right click and "save as")

Ok, it's not exactly a piece per se. It's kind of a mellow, dreamy sketch. Perhaps it will one day turn into something more, perhaps not. I present it to you all for your enjoyment.

I am not a professional composer (at least I don't consider myself one). I have no music theory training outside the piano lessons I took as a kid (and I don't even remember those).

I hope you enjoy. And, of course, you are more then welcome to comment. Good, bad, whatever. I know the piece could use some work as far as the mix is concerned. But it's just a sketch .

Thanks all!

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Re: First GPO Doodle

Wow! That's a great start, Michael! This is remarkable for a first-time effort with GPO. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Larry A.

With sweaty palms I tore open the UPS box that contained my copy of GPO. I shredded the plastic wrap around the lovely DVD-style CD case and I quickly got to work installing everything.
    Wow, you actually got the package open with sweaty palms? Mine kept slipping out of my hands.
    Nice first piece! Let's hear more,K?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by mfortunato
    Hello all!

With I present it to you all for your enjoyment.

I am not a professional composer (at least I don't consider myself one). I have no music theory training outside the piano lessons I took as a kid (and I don't even remember those).

I hope you enjoy.
    I enjoyed it very much. Thank you. Keep on writing, and sharing.
    Greetz
    Gerard

More, I say! I want more!
    This is a great piece of music, It sounds like it would work well as a solo song in a big broadway musical I can picture it in Phantom of the Opera...big aria towards the end of Act 2
    Great work, thanks for letting us hear it.
    Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Doodle??? This is a beautiful sketch on the way to maturation. Extended and amplified from its current ending you will have a grand piece.

One wonderful thing is that that artificial musical "tune" time limit was originally set by the length of what could be recorded on a single side of 78RPM records, (about 2 minutes) and has no real basis in what music can (and should) do. Trance music at raves often exceeds even Wagnerian time proportions.

The short attention span stuff has also been maintained on radio -- to keep commercials coming. It allows for only "short burst" creativity.

It is my opinion that in this wonderful piece a building dynamic with the introduction of the minor toward the end -- is cut short -- almost as if an internal editor was saying I am not ready to go further. I feel it can go further -- and had me just hooked as it ends.

I particularly like the use of the glass harmonica to start me feeling "oh (oy) just another new age piece," and then the growing weave of instrumental texture building to put that thought well into the background of my listening mind.

Summation: MORE - MORE. Extand, amplify. Please, Please!

WOW! Thanks everyone for your incredibly kind words!

You've inspired me to build on it. As soon as I have more free time I will. It's interesting because I never intended it to be more than a test of some of the instruments. But I kind of like it (especially the 2nd half), so I will definitely build on it.

Thank you all again for your comments!

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Sheesh! This is very nice!

I can't wait to hear what you produce when you actually are "serious" when composing!

Thanks for sharing and please give us more.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thumbs up Re: First GPO Doodle

Auspicious debut, Michael! Welcome to this merrie band (orchestra?) of wild and crazy composers and enthusiasts of all kinds!

Nice piece! Like Kinvint and others, I say "MORE!"

Cheers ... KevinKauai

Go Back to forum