• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using Ambience in Sonar 3

Share/Bookmark

Using Ambience in Sonar 3

Y'all,

I want to use the GPO Ambience reverb as a VST plugin in Sonar 3. Will some kind soul please take pity on me and tell me how to do this step by step? I would be eternally grateful and as payment I would be happy to dance at your next wedding and do a juggling act too if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

Re: Using Ambience in Sonar 3

Larry,

Good luck. I've been trying to figure this out in Home Studio for about two weeks now. Is Sonar recognizing it?

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Larry,

Good luck. I've been trying to figure this out in Home Studio for about two weeks now. Is Sonar recognizing it?

Jonny
    I'm not sure because I don't know all of the ins and outs of setting it up.

Larry A.

Hey, Larry.

I've used the Ambiance effect in Sonar 4, and I'm certain it works the same in version 3.

A concept that you need to remember from the start, is that you route Audio tracks, not MIDI tracks to the effect. (Remember that the MIDI tracks are heard via the audio track that contains the GPO VST.)

(1) Bring up the console view (View, Console)
    (2) Scroll left/right until you find a blank space with no track strip in
    (3) Left-click and choose "Insert Bus". A new strip will be available, probably called "Bus 1" or "Aux" or something similar.
    (4) In the square box on the new strip, Left-click and choose "Audio Effects / Garritan Ambiance." The Ambiance settings interface will appear.
    (5) Tweak the setting (i.e. choose your favorite enviornment, etc.) and close the window. Close the console view, too.
    (6) In the normal track view, Find the audio track(s) that contain the Personal Orchestra VST (or DXi). (Also make sure you have selected the "FX" tab at the bottom of the tracks.)
    (7) Left-click in the "gray" space, and choose "Insert Send" and select the new Bus you created.
    (8) You will now see the Send parameters for the audio track. To actually start routing the Audio track, click the little box to left of "Post". It will light up green.

Repeat steps 6 to 8 for as many instances of GPO VSTs you have. (For example, I have a GPO instance for all my String patches, another for my Woodwinds, etc.)

OPTIONAL:
    If you want to create another ambiance (environment) to co-exist with your current one, then repeat the steps from the beginning, giving the new Bus a different name. Then reroute the GPO audio track(s) to the new Bus. This will allow you to have your Strings in a lush concert hall, and your percussion in a cathedral, for example.

Gosh, how long-winded was THAT? If you don't follow, let me know and I'll explain in another way... with pictures, or puppet shows, perhaps? Or call me, 441-299-7444 and I can talk you through it on the phone.

Cheers,
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Hi, Larry,

You said "step by step" , so to back up one step further make sure you run the Cakewalk VST wrapper so Sonar can find Ambience in the first place! Then follow Steve's instructions.

Also, to expand a bit, if you do use Ambience as an aux send/return as per Steve's instructions, make sure you set Ambience to 100% wet. You'll control the wet/dry ratio with each track's send volume so you don't want any of the dry signal coming from Ambience. Make sense?
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Yeah, thanks Larry, forgot that bit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Thanks very much Bermuda and Steve. I will have a go at it and see what happens. I really appreciate all of the information.

Best regards,

Larry G. Alexander

No problem, Larry! Give a holler if you need some more pointers.
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Thanks very much Bermuda and Steve. This will be a help to many GPO users. Would one of you mind taking some screenshots so we can make an Ambience tutorial?

Thanks again,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Would one of you mind taking some screenshots so we can make an Ambience tutorial?
    No problem, Gary.

I would be happy to, but I'm on version Sonar version 4. I suppose the process is similar. Steve, what version are you on?

btw, Gary... can we post images on the forum, or do you want 'em emailed to you?

Cheers 'n' beers ,
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Go Back to forum