• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wave IR-1 : what latency ?

Share/Bookmark

Wave IR-1 : what latency ?

Wave IR-1 : what latency ?

I don’t own the IR-1 and there is no demo.

Does some one use it in real-time without perceptible latency ?

Re: Wave IR-1 : what latency ?

The Waves IR-1 has a standard, fixed latency of 11.6 msec (with 44.1 - 48 Khz Khz material). This is an added latency to the reverb. There is no latency on the dry signal (weird enough).

Yes, this software is meant to be used on "streaming" audio - it is not for offline use (like the old Acoustic Mirror in SoundForge is).

You can download an evaluation version that will work for a few weeks (unless you have downloaded Waves demos before, in which case the demo may not work).

A very good alternative, with lower latency, is Pristine Space from www.Voxengo.com - this one is about 7 times cheaper, multi-channel. The only disadvantage is that it does not contain any impulse responses, it's just the software. The Waves IR-1 includes a library of real spaces and reverb devices.

Check out my www.Samplicity.com site for a new IR-library with presets from the famous TC6000.

Kind regards,

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    A very good alternative, with lower latency, is Pristine Space from www.Voxengo.com - this one is about 7 times cheaper, multi-channel. The only disadvantage is that it does not contain any impulse responses, it's just the software. The Waves IR-1 includes a library of real spaces and reverb devices.
    I wanted to correct you on this one - indeed, impulses are not bundled with the installer itself, but I do offer good impulses produced by CKSDE as separate archive downloads. Of course, it's not as hype'y as Waves' library, but if you want to get work done, it's all there.

Oops - I thought there were only Impulse Modeler IR's for download. My mistake, I apologize.

Regards,

Hi Peter...and Aleksey (and welcome !).

(One more developer on the forum... Definitely, I love this site...)

Thanks for those links.

So the IR-1’s latency is 11.6... it seems a bit high to me. I wonder if it’s audible... (Personally I can feel the latency on my keyboard over 7ms...)

You can download an evaluation version that will work for a few weeks (unless you have downloaded Waves demos before, in which case the demo may not work).
    I suppose that it’s in the download page... The point is : I hate to give my address to a company without buying anything...

I’ll try the Voxengo.

In terms of reverberation: 11.6 msec corresponds to a distance (first reflection) of 3.9 meter (speed of sound = 340 m/sec). I don't think with regular ambience IR's you will really notice it. With shorter IR's, say for thickening/coloring bass drums, voice overs, etc., it might degrade the effect. But, you can manually add a latency to the Dry signal as well, so you could compensate the processing latency in the Wet signal.

Hi Peter,

I've been following you on you impulse adventure. Unfortunately I know nothing about it at this time other then I guess it's a "must have" reverb.

My question is have you had any experience with the SIR Convolution Reverb? It's free.

Thanx
    Tod

Hello

I wanted to purchase an IR reverb for digital sampled pianos processing. I did some comparisons essentially based on SIR, Voxengo and Wave IR1 demos. From both points of view of latency time (more precisely real-time playability) and sapce feeling, I finally choiced the Waves IRL product even if more expensive. I also made comparisons with a given impulse response and one more time, I prefered the Waves sound, which is significantly different. Try to process a wav file on different product with a given impulse response. Though Waves IR1 was clearly too expensive for me, Waves IRL is worth the cost, considering the fact you get exactly the same sound and you have entire access to their beautiful IR library.

You understood: I am really happy with that plugin. Another point with the real-time mode: you must have a powerfull processor, especially when running big 24 bit sampled library with hi poliphony (the sustain pedal of the piano...). My 2.4 Ghz PIV is sometimes a little bit light...

Quote Originally Posted by T. S.
    Hi Peter,

I've been following you on you impulse adventure. Unfortunately I know nothing about it at this time other then I guess it's a "must have" reverb.

My question is have you had any experience with the SIR Convolution Reverb? It's free.

Thanx
    Tod
    SIR only works with mono-to-stereo Impulse Responses. For my applications that's not interesting. I want to work with true-stereo, which requires the loading of 2 IR stereo files. I have mailed the maker of SIR about this, and about mentioning his product on my site, but I have not received any answer.

I still recommended Pristine Space as the best value for money.

I'd love to do comparisons between the major convolution plugins, but for now I don't have the time or resources. I really AM interested in sound differences. Maybe Altiverb's reputation is based on good filters? I really don't know.

During my recent project I have found that using 2 IR's (true stereo) sounds soooo much better than 1 single mono-to-stereo IR. Maybe Altiverb users are more accustomed to using true stereo than PC people, with Acoustic Mirror and SIR (both mono-to-stereo).

Some news on my new Samplicity Lib:

The Altiverb version is now being tested and will be available for shipping starting next monday (one work day later than I promised )

Go Back to forum