• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard Drive Question

Share/Bookmark

Hard Drive Question

I can't find which forum I was reading about this in, but maybe some of you know:

Someone was talking about using a 10,000rpm drive to enhance their use of GPO and other VI. I'm a babe in the wood hard-drive-wise -- can you self-install in a G5 -- and then what goes on the faster drive -- sample libraries, or Performer, etc. to maximize the benefits, etc.?

Re: Hard Drive Question

Quote Originally Posted by barton1899
    I can't find which forum I was reading about this in, but maybe some of you know:

Someone was talking about using a 10,000rpm drive to enhance their use of GPO and other VI. I'm a babe in the wood hard-drive-wise -- can you self-install in a G5 -- and then what goes on the faster drive -- sample libraries, or Performer, etc. to maximize the benefits, etc.?
    barton189,

GPO runs best on RAM, disc streaming is not essential, so a faster hard drive will not yield faster performance. More RAM will be better. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Re: Hard Drive Question

A faster drive will help load times a little though I find that the 7.2k drive is all I need. I do have a 2nd fast sata drive that I capture audio to. Putting a 2nd SATA drive in the G5 is very easy and is explained in detail in the G5's manual and on Apple's support site.

10k drives are louder and hotter so you might want to take that into consideration as well.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Go Back to forum