• Register
  • Help

Topic: Optimization Mysteries

Share/Bookmark

Optimization Mysteries

I\'ve decided to start from a newly fdisked and formatted pair of drives, install Win2k and do as many of the tweaks I\'ve seen mentioned on this forum and on the Videoguy\'s Win2K Tweaks as seems reasonable. I\'m doing this to wring the last click and pop free note out of Giga.

I\'m having a problem understanding some of the advice given though, and hope someone can help. I also have a problem in defragmenting successfully, I think.

1) AUTOINSERT NOTIFICATION.
    I seem not to be able to turn off autoinsert notification for my cd rom drive. There isn\'t a switch for this in the device manager any more. There was one in Win98. I believe it\'s possible to do this in the Win2K registry, but don\'t know enough about this to do it.

2) APPLICATION RESPONSE
    I\'ve seen advice telling me to set \"Optimize Performance for:\" to Applications. Other advice says to set it for \"Background Services\". Applications seems to make more sense. Does anyone know?

3) SWAPFILE LOCATION
    Videoguy\'s Tweaks recommends that the swapfile not be put on the system disk. In that case, it would be going on my sample disk. Does that make sense? Wouldn\'t that defeat the purpose of putting samples on a separate disk.

If I\'m basically playing notes and sending continuous controller info to Gigastudio from a midi controller, and nothing else, isn\'t it possible that I wouldn\'t be needing the swapfile at all ? When would Gigastudio be using the swapfile anyway? Does Gigastudio actually put samples in the swapfile? In that case, maybe it does make sense to put the swapfile on the sample disk.

I have seen advice that if I have lots of memory, I might set the swapfile size to 0 with good results. True?

Also, I\'ve seen advice to set swapfile to 1 1/2 times the size of my memory, but other advice says that\'s ok, but only up to swapfile size of 512MB. How about that?

Also, I\'ve seen advice to make the initial and max values for swapfile size = the same number. Any idea if that really makes sense? Will this really help prevent the fragmentation of the swapfile?

Also, Videoguys Tweaks recommends moving the swapfile to the outer edge of the hard drive. How do I find the swapfile so that I can tell speeddisk where to put it. I don\'t know the name of the swapfile.

4) Videoguys tells me that the maximum size for a volume, if I use FAT32, is 32gig, however my harddrive is 60gig, and it seems to be recognized as such.

4) WRITE CACHE ENABLE
    I\'ve seen advice to enable Write cache for my hard drives, and also advice to disable it. Which is correct?

5) SCSI I have an external SCSI CD-RW drive which I rarely use anymore. Would it be wise to take out the SCSI card and uninstall the SCSI drivers?

6) DEFRAGMENTING
    I\'ve defragmented with Norton SpeedDisk (2003 version). I did it immediately after installing Win2K and Norton Systemworks 2003. There\'s nothing else on the hard drive (60gig).

When I look at the optimization map after optimizing, I see that the directory seems to be scattered all over the disk. Maybe this is unimportant since Norton reports there are only 6 fragmented files. Defragmenting is different from arranging all files so they are contiguous, I expect.

What I don\'t like is that the SpeedDisk reports the largest contiguous free space as 368477. Now I suppose that must mean 36.84 gig, which is ok. But it also reports that there are 349 Free spaces, which implies that the free space is somehow composed of lots of small free spaces. Maybe it\'s divided up this way because of the way the directory structure is scattered all over the disk.

Does this mean my samples will be fragmented when I load them onto this drive? Why can\'t I get all files (mainly directory is the culprit) moved to contiguous locations on my disk.

Bemused,
    Gabriel

Re: Optimization Mysteries

Hi Gabriel, I can help with a few, they mainly apply to XP but should work in 2K as well;

1) AUTOINSERT NOTIFICATION.
    I seem not to be able to turn off autoinsert notification for my cd rom drive. There isn\'t a switch for this in the device manager any more. There was one in Win98. I believe it\'s possible to do this in the Win2K registry, but don\'t know enough about this to do it. -

How to turn off Auto Insert Notification:

(1) Open Regedit
    (2) Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Ser vices\\CDROM

(3) Once you have found that key, then highlight “Autorun” and click Edit, Modify

(4) Now set the entry of the Data value Autorun to 0.

(5) Click Exit, and then restart.

2) APPLICATION RESPONSE
    I\'ve seen advice telling me to set \"Optimize Performance for:\" to Applications. Other advice says to set it for \"Background Services\". Applications seems to make more sense. Does anyone know? - Certainly things like ASIO drivers run as a background service. So it is usually best to do this.(choose to run as a background service)

3) SWAPFILE LOCATION
    Videoguy\'s Tweaks recommends that the swapfile not be put on the system disk. In that case, it would be going on my sample disk. Does that make sense? Wouldn\'t that defeat the purpose of putting samples on a separate disk. - Definetely on the non-system drive. Max and min size the same. No larger than a gig required. Leave it on, some things STILL use it regardless of ram quantity.

4) WRITE CACHE ENABLE
    I\'ve seen advice to enable Write cache for my hard drives, and also advice to disable it. Which is correct? - Be careful fooling with this. I have also seen conflicting info and have crashed my system disabling it.

5) SCSI I have an external SCSI CD-RW drive which I rarely use anymore. Would it be wise to take out the SCSI card and uninstall the SCSI drivers? - If you are not really using it definaetely take it out.

6) DEFRAGMENTING
    I\'ve defragmented with Norton SpeedDisk (2003 version). I did it immediately after installing Win2K and Norton Systemworks 2003. There\'s nothing else on the hard drive (60gig). - Not all defrag utilities can defrag the swap file. Perhaps Norton cant. Try Diskeeper.

Heop this helps, Scott.

Re: Optimization Mysteries

Scott,
    Thanks very much for your detailed response. I\'m slogging through every tweak I\'ve seen. Firing up Giga very soon.
    Gabriel

Go Back to forum