• Register
  • Help

Topic: question about techniqu in mixing please

Share/Bookmark

question about techniqu in mixing please

ok I am mixing this huge orchestra chior piece only my computer seems to run out of resources! My question is do any of you guys run into this problem? Do you mix down sub mixes of groups of instruments? Brass section, winds section, strings, percussion? I am curious to what people do to get by this in there sequencer. What happens is when I start playing say brass and strings and then add the timpini to play I get a drop out.
    So far I am only using 2 busses one for strings one for brass section.
    I obviously need a faster computer and more ran but hey have to get by on what I have now.
    Thanks

Re: question about techniqu in mixing please

Certain instruments are more resource-hungry than others, particularly timpani rolls, harp, piano, anything with a long decay that eats up polyphony... try rendering these instruments as audio tracks first, and you may find that you can mix the rest of the piece without glitches.

If you still have problems, yes, submixing the sections of the orchestra or the choir will work well, and may allow you the CPU resources to use a nicer reverb or other processing (EQ, gentle compression, etc) as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    Certain instruments are more resource-hungry than others, particularly timpani rolls, harp, piano, anything with a long decay that eats up polyphony... try rendering these instruments as audio tracks first, and you may find that you can mix the rest of the piece without glitches.

If you still have problems, yes, submixing the sections of the orchestra or the choir will work well, and may allow you the CPU resources to use a nicer reverb or other processing (EQ, gentle compression, etc) as needed.

yea man the timpini is eating it all up! I should do sub mixes then , I deffinitly need to eq the strings as the sound like they want to take over the orchestra LOL. Ok Thanks! I'll render the Timpini to an audio track that should help. It always amazing me how many tracks it takes do orchestration each group in it's own group then you have thin it out to sound right in the mix or else a group will try and dominate the whole orchestra. I mean yea Brass are farther back but they have louder presence in the orchestra.

Cool Re: question about techniqu in mixing please

StrangeCat --

What you DON'T provide is absolutely ANY information as to [a] your computer, [b] your sequencer software, [c] your RAM. Without these, all any folks can do is nod their heads nicely and commiserate.

Have you consulted the Forum for your sequencer for tips on when you seem to get into overload situations? It's not always the fault of the sample-set. Sure "less is more" in almost all crunch situations, but a lot of frustrating seemingly "max'd out" scenarios can easily be solved with a tweak here or there.

But without the info, you're just whistling (*the polite word) in the wind!

Good luck! KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    StrangeCat --

What you DON'T provide is absolutely ANY information as to [a] your computer, [b] your sequencer software, [c] your RAM. Without these, all any folks can do is nod their heads nicely and commiserate.
    But without the info, you're just whistling (*the polite word) in the wind!

Good luck! KevinKauai
    heh heh... Gig of Ram on a 1.6 gig hz Athlon proccessor. Everything turned off in Windows. Using Sonar 3 Producer
    There are jus to many tracks I am going to have to mix everything as groups then mix those in. Hey my computer is weak.

Go Back to forum