• Register
  • Help

Topic: EXS24 vs. Gigasampler LE

Share/Bookmark

EXS24 vs. Gigasampler LE

This may seem like a silly question, but do any of you have a recommendation as to which sampler is the better of the two?

The obvious advantages of EXS24 are it's tight integration with Logic, and more sophisticated editing. However, GigaLE will allow me to playback some of my sample CD's (such as Diva) without having to import them and possibly lose something in the translation. I think I should be able to run GigaLE in a new PC I'm building (just for "light" audio work in conjunction with my G5), but I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle...

Any opinions?

Re: EXS24 vs. Gigasampler LE

Indicator, the fact that you don't already own the EXS suggests that you're on a version of Logic earlier than 6.4, right?

I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Logic 7, and therefore not only getting the included EXS, but all the other AI's that are included as well.

The EXS works so well in Logic, it's a no brainer for compatibility and reliability. It's internal giga conversion works very well, and the few parameters that don't make the transition are easily fixed.

Then, if you can swing it, giga LE might be still worth picking up. And if you were in that position, perhaps Giga 3 would be a better way to go.

My 2 cents...

Sorry - should have clarified. I DO have EXS24 with Logic 7.01. But I also have Gigasampler LE, and (at least with Diva) there is quite a bit lost in EXS24's translation of the GIG files (keyswitches, release triggers, etc.).

I'm just wondering, from folks who use both, if EXS is a viable alternative given that so few companies are making native libraries for it any longer, and I don't know how much time I really want to spend converting GIG libraries that don't retain 100% functionality.

But perhaps GigaLE isn't really up-to-snuff...in which case I don't mind sticking with EXS. At least until I can afford a dedicated Gigasampler PC like all those famous hollywood types...

Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    ...I'm just wondering, from folks who use both, if EXS is a viable alternative given that so few companies are making native libraries for it any longer, and I don't know how much time I really want to spend converting GIG libraries that don't retain 100% functionality...
    I don't know, but EXS compatible libraries are certainly not scarce, and with Apple owning Logic now, I don't think we'll see the libraries diminishing any time soon. Especially if Apple gives the EXS the upgrade that's been rumored about for a while now...

Personally, the EXS works so well in Logic, I don't mind fixing the conversions myself. It's easy enough, that's for sure.

But I think owning Giga would be a smart move, especially if you got into Giga 3. I don't know how viable LE is in today's market. Maybe someone else can answer that one...

Overall I'd prefer NOT to have to switch to a new sampler. If Redmatica's new Keymap app does all it claims to do, editing all of those GIG conversions may not be such a monumental task...

Thanks for your input.

Go Back to forum