• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Volume problem

Share/Bookmark

Volume problem

I'm a GPO beginner, and have encountered a difficulty. Using the default volume levels for each of the different sounds gives a good balance between the instruments, but the overall volume of the piece is so low I can barely hear it. Is there any way I can increase the master volume? If it matters, I am using Finale 2005 and Sonar 4.

Re: Volume problem

Junior,

GPO is not a library you can use successfully without reading the manual and other documentation (including the GPO Update documentation) to become familiar with GPO conventions. This is because GPO parts company with standard MIDI conventions in many ways. One of the main departures concerns the use of the mod wheel. There are two types of instruments in GPO: Percussive and Expressive. Percussive instruments (like piano) use the standard velocity=volume. Expressive instruments (like winds and strings) use the mod wheel (cc#1) to control volume/timbre. When used as designed, the mod wheel data will be almost constantly present in a track shaping the dynamic changes to an instrument. It is not a "set and forget" controller but, rather, the mod wheel data must be present in the same way that air must be blown through a wind instrument to initiate and sustain sound.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is: Bring up the mod wheel data.

Tom

Tom, I've got a small problem. I'm presently using my Korg Trinity as a controller for GPO but it has a joystick instead of a modwheel and it is, of course, spring loaded so that whenever I need to hit a keyswitch I have to turn loose of it and the volume goes way down. Is there any way to remap the modwheel controller to a foot volume/expression pedal such as the exp-2 that I have? If so, how? I'm not real great at all this so direct step-by-step would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Junior,

You can also modify your instance of Kontakt (the GPO interface), to use traditional MIDI controllers (i.e. CC7 for volume, CC10 for pan), so your existing sequences won't have to be totally thrown away.

Click the Options button in the Kontakt player and activate the button that says "Use Std. CC#7 / CC#10 Volume & Pan"

BUT! Even with when using volume and pan controllers (or envelopes), you still need to place a Mod Wheel controller message (CC#1) at the beginning of each GPO track with a value of 127 (maximum). This basically sets the modwheel to it's highest position at the start of the sequence. You can do this in the piano roll view. Down in the velocity/controller pane, choose "Control", type in a "1" in the middle box, and draw a line with 127 value. (Or as close as you can... if you need to adjust, go to the Even List view of the track and modify the controller event manually to it occurs at beat 1 of bar 1, and has a value of 127.

These instructions are for Sonar only. I'm not familiar with Finale, sorry.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

It's still best to control volume with modulation or CC1 instead of using CC7. CC1 does more than just changing volume but also changes the timbre depending on the instrument. This makes the instruments much more realistic sounding and more playable.

Are the sliders programmable on this unit? If so, see if one can be set to CC1.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I can't consult my GPO manual, as I lost it soon after installing the program (I'd lose my own head if it weren't nailed on.)
    Another problem for you to chew on: I can't seem to get normal, sustained notes using the string sections (the default sound appears to be tremolo, and none of the key switches change to straight notes.) I can't imagine that I also lost the sustained note samples but, then again...

Silly question for you: You haven't loaded the temolo strings into GPO, right?

If you have up/down bow samples selected in the KS Strings, you'll get short non-sustaining samples...

C4 (in 1&2 Violins & Violas) will select the "default" string sound (C2 in cellos). Put a note in there, just to be sure you're listening to the correct samples.

That should your starting point...
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Sometimes when starting with Finale the wrong key switch will be active, but either pressing the right one on the Kontact keyboard or notating the right keyswitch fixes it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I can't consult my GPO manual, as I lost it soon after installing the program
    That also means you have lost your serial number which you will need if you ever have to reinstall the software.

Hello, again.
    I'm just not getting it. I start up the GPO stand-alone, then load the "Vlns 1 KS combo" patch. When I play the notes, I get tremolo (at least I think that's what it's called, where the same note is rapidly repeated.) The various key switches give me half-step trills, whole-step trills, and pizzicato. I tried the C4, but couldn't get a normal sustained note sound.
    I'll have to set aside a day this week to hunt for my manual so I don't waste your time with my dumb questions.

Go Back to forum