• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio won't work - help!

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio won\'t work - help!

Just purchased Gigastudio 160, and a brand new system to run it on - P4 2.4, genuine intel motherboard, Mia Echo soundcard. Program loads fine, as does the supplied gigapiano gig file, which I allocated to channel 1 of port 1.

So far, so good.

However, clicking the on-screen keyboard then produces no sound at all, nor does the controller keyboard. Soundcard works fine for everything else on the machine. But it\'s as though gigastudio itself is dead.

It also doesn\'t register midi input of any sort.

My computer is now back in the hands of my music retailer while they try to sort it out, but at the moment they\'re as stumped as I am.

I\'m running XP home - any other Gigastudio or Mia Echo users experienced this problem initially? All theories welcome...I\'ve hit a wall on this one now.

Re: Gigastudio won\'t work - help!

Did you enable GSIF in the \'Directsound/GSIF\' Settings of the \'Mia by Echo Properties\' window?

I had a similar problem on a fresh install with the same setup. It seemed like it was DirectX9 causing the issue. You might need to wipe everything, reinstall, and when you run Windows update, do NOT install DirectX9. (Turn off automatic updates.)

I am literally having the EXACT same problem. Fresh install of OS on brand new P4 machine with Echo Gina and Midiman 2x2 USB interface. instruments load, but virtual keyboard is dead as are all MIDI ports. How do I make sure that Directx9 is not installed? ANy other ideas as to what the heck is going on with my machine?

Originally posted by rwdelling:
    I am literally having the EXACT same problem. Fresh install of OS on brand new P4 machine with Echo Gina and Midiman 2x2 USB interface. instruments load, but virtual keyboard is dead as are all MIDI ports. How do I make sure that Directx9 is not installed? ANy other ideas as to what the heck is going on with my machine?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Did you run Windows Update? Don\'t do it next time you reinstall. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Or, after the fresh load, run Windows Update, and don\'t install the Direct X update. That worked on my secondary GS machine. (The primary one is still down, haven\'t had the heart to do a reinstall. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

OK, I am going to do a fresh install of the OS tomorrow, load in all of the updates, patches, and hardware, and then install gigastudio FIRST before Reason and Sonar. Any other suggestions?

Hi !

I\'m also experiencing the very same thing with a brand new P4 2,8 GHz, with Layla 24. Would it be a problem with Echo drivers then ?

One thing though => Gigastudio was unable to install its 4 midi ports until I first uninstalled the Layla driver AND also the integrated sound card present on the mother board (my mobo integrates a Soundmax ( Asus P4c800))

On a clean windows 2000, installing gigastudio THEN only the Layla 24, I can get Giga to launch properly (with its 4 midi ports appearing in the settings panel) and load samples properly but I\'m stuck right where everyone is after that... Nothing playing, no icon in the taskbar displaying that Gigastudio is receiving midi inputs properly, no virtual keyboard working...

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Midiports greyed out in Giga? This is supposed to be fixed in 2.53.05 and later. Try downloading the latest update.

Ironic? Got the same problem, after suggesting a solution..

Reinstalled one of my computers, that has a Gina20 card. Clean winxp. Gigastudio and drivers installed: Greyed out midiports! And this is with v2.54. Several hours went by, searching for the cause of the problem.. and although I can\'t say excactly what is causing it- installing old (in my case the v0.66beta) drivers for Gina solved it. Bright and green midiports again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"Just purchased Gigastudio 160, and a brand new system to run it on - P4 2.4, genuine intel motherboard, Mia Echo soundcard. Program loads fine, as does the supplied gigapiano gig file, which I allocated to channel 1 of port 1.

So far, so good.

However, clicking the on-screen keyboard then produces no sound at all, nor does the controller keyboard. Soundcard works fine for everything else on the machine. But it\'s as though gigastudio itself is dead.

It also doesn\'t register midi input of any sort.

My computer is now back in the hands of my music retailer while they try to sort it out, but at the moment they\'re as stumped as I am.

I\'m running XP home - any other Gigastudio or Mia Echo users experienced this problem initially? All theories welcome...I\'ve hit a wall on this one now.\" - Philip Johnston

Philip, did you or anyone else come up with a solution for YOUR problem? I\'m having the same trouble with P4, XP, GS 160, and Mia. Only slight difference is I do see midi input on GS, just no sound. Its a hell of a lot of money to have invested in something that doesn\'t work.
    I think its GS at fault. Everything worked fine before I installed it.

Carl

Go Back to forum