• Register
  • Help

Topic: IDE and SATA

Share/Bookmark

IDE and SATA

I'm considering purchasing a new mobo with the SATA Controller: Question: can you run both IDE and SATA drives simultaneous in the system? or do you have to choose one or the other? thanks!

Re: IDE and SATA

You can use both.

-JF

Thank you for your help!

Yes, I think the mobo supports the configuration.

Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to having an IDE boot drive and SATA sample drives?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDave
    Thank you for your help!

Yes, I think the mobo supports the configuration.

Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to having an IDE boot drive and SATA sample drives?
    That's the best configuration. You can run a system drive on SATA, but it's not straightforward. (You have to teach Windows about the SATA driver, otherwise it can't boot. And if it can't boot, you can't teach it anything. Very chicken and egg.)

Running the sample drives on SATA is much more simple, and SATA provides high bandwidth that works well for samples.

Then again, what do I have? A SATA system drive and an IDE sample drive. That's simply because my previous system drive was the most recent to fail!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    That's the best configuration. You can run a system drive on SATA, but it's not straightforward. (You have to teach Windows about the SATA driver, otherwise it can't boot. And if it can't boot, you can't teach it anything. Very chicken and egg.)

-JF
    So how did you set up the SATA Boot drive? are there pages anywhere that detail this out? I think in the end I will use an IDE for Boot and SATA for samples, but would definitely like to know how to set it up as boot.

Do you daisy chain the SATA drives like IDE?

I appreciate your help, thank you.

With SATA there's no daisy chain. You just hook up one connector on the mobo to one disk drive.

For a SATA system drive you need to have copied the correct SATA drivers, including the *.inf file to a floppy. And the system must have a floppy drive available. When you go to load Windows on the drive it asks about SCSI drivers. You hit "F6" as I recall. Later it asks you to put in the floppy and hit enter. If the driver and inf file were fine, things just proceed. Otherwise, back to square one.

Also, you need to have configured the motherboard BIOS to 1) activate the SATA controller, 2) configure the controller for RAID 0 (or whatever you're using), and 3) figure out how to configure the motherboard to boot from the SATA drive. I've done it for the ASUS A7V8X and the A8V-Deluxe, and it was different for each motherboard.

As you can see, it can be done, but there are lots of places where you can get it wrong. And, like most technology, you can get a million things right and it still won't work if you got just one thing wrong...

Cheers!

-JF

For SATA sample drives will I have to install the drivers at the time of XP installation? or are the drivers contained within XP? or, do I have to update the drivers after installation? can you point me to the Drivers?

I'm a bit confused, ifrom what you have said, I take it you need Drivers at the time of a fresh Win install to get the SATA boot drive working proper? but not if you want to use the SATA drives as additional storage?

Thanks again.

You can add a non-system drive at any time. The drivers should come with your motherboard. As long as you've installed all the motherboard drivers, you're good to go.

The SATA drivers will likely be called Promise RAID drivers, or Silicon Image RAID drivers or something like that, since those are the two main SATA chip makers.

Here's the process:

1) Turn of the PC.

2) Add the SATA drive. Connect both the power and data cables.

3) Turn on the PC.

4) Go into the BIOS.

5) Enable the Promise or Silicon Image SATA stuff.

6) Save the BIOS

7) Watch the screen. There will be a moment after the main BIOS boot that a Promise or Silicon Image screen appears. It will say something like "Press F2 to enter disk utility". Press F2 (or whatever).

8) Setup the Promise/SI utility for RAID 0, unless you have other RAID plans. Do whatever it takes to configure and save what you want.

9) Let the PC boot to Windows.

10) Go to Windows' Disk Management utility. I go there by right-clicking My Computer, and selecting "Manage". Disck Management is under "Storage".

11) You should see your disk there. You will need to add a partition and format it.

Best of luck!

-JF

If you use a board with the 875i chipset (ex. ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe) and attach to SATA0 and SATA1 ports, then you will not need to install a driver for Windows XP. The SATA controller is part of the Intel chipset. The SATA2 and SATA3 though use a different controller that will need a driver.

I purchased the P4P800SE MB and it has the 865PE chipset with an ICH5R SB and 82801ER SATA controller, so, I just found out there are no need for drivers unless I'm going to configure it as a Raid array, which I'm not. So... I have an 80 gig IDE Boot, another IDE 120 gig drive on the secondary IDE for my Cubase files, and then 2 more SATA 160 gig sample Drives.

Weird thing is though, in the Device manager, the SATA Drives use an IDE Driver! very strange.

Go Back to forum