• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How to get this type of sound?

Share/Bookmark

How to get this type of sound?

http://www.samhulick.com/techno.mp3

What I like about this sound: the dirty gritty sound in the very beginning, and the way the low-pass filter (if that's what it is?) comes in to transition it into the beat. The beat is simple, but I like it as well.

I think this might boil down to yet another "Absynth vs. Atmosphere" type question, but maybe there's something else out there better suited for this? And I imagine the beat could easily be done with Stylus RMX.

Just curious.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: How to get this type of sound?

At the beginning, you have a really simple subtractive patch (saw wave) with a lot of reverb and a resonant high pass filter with the cutoff turned up high. The filter cutoff then decreases as a basic (probably synthesized) kick enters. The "pulsing" sound comes from massive compression combined with the large kick and large reverb. I think the reverb might be gated or have a small predelay, too.

Nothing too complicated. You could recreate the kick using any one of thousands of samples, or even a kick synthesizer like Stomper Hyperion. Thrown in a free compressor/reverb and a basic subtractive synth like Synth1 or ASynth and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    At the beginning, you have a really simple subtractive patch (saw wave) with a lot of reverb and a resonant high pass filter with the cutoff turned up high. The filter cutoff then decreases as a basic (probably synthesized) kick enters. The "pulsing" sound comes from massive compression combined with the large kick and large reverb. I think the reverb might be gated or have a small predelay, too.

Nothing too complicated. You could recreate the kick using any one of thousands of samples, or even a kick synthesizer like Stomper Hyperion. Thrown in a free compressor/reverb and a basic subtractive synth like Synth1 or ASynth and you're set.
    You picked that up just by listening to it? Wholly m*****f***er! Where do you learn such things?

Cheers,

Jose

ahhhahaha benny benasi's satisfaction, cool :-)

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    You picked that up just by listening to it? Wholly m*****f***er! Where do you learn such things?

Cheers,

Jose
    I dunno. I've only been doing this stuff for about a year and a half.. I'm 17.. haven't taken any classes on the subject.. haven't read any books.. I guess maybe practice and a positive attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    I dunno. I've only been doing this stuff for about a year and a half.. I'm 17.. haven't taken any classes on the subject.. haven't read any books.. I guess maybe practice and a positive attitude?
    Do you live in Los Angeles. I smell talent. If so, I do need help on the electronic side of things from time to time. Especially since I'm looking to do more tv work, but also for film.

Jose

Wow, zircon.. impressive. Thanks. Unfortunately I don't speak the language of synth.. I should probably learn.

Yeah, Benny Benassi. Great video, by the way..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Look at this!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Wow, zircon.. impressive. Thanks. Unfortunately I don't speak the language of synth.. I should probably learn.
    You definitely should, if you want to use them effectively. They're really not that mysterious.

Try to dig up the music video if you can. You won't be sorry
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Go Back to forum