• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Methane and Life on Mars

Share/Bookmark

Methane and Life on Mars

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Did anybody else notice the immediate hype about life on Mars, only to have it disappear from the news moments later? I had been helping my buddy, who is a general manager at a motel, move mattresses and glanced at it on T.V. I was very excited, though skeptical of course, when the news came out about methane and the possibility of life on Mars, and then it was like the subject just vanished from the media. I don't own a television, so I was anxious to go over to my girlfriend's house to watch it, and there was nothing else about it.

As a "thinking" Christian, I can't wait to see the fundamentalist Christians squirm when life IS finally found somewhere else. Possibly, God will escape the box that they try to put him in.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Re: Methane and Life on Mars

I'm a little confused by the report--I thought methane gas was a fairly common gas. Didn't Titan, the recently visited moon of Saturn have a methane atmosphere? So methane could surely be trapped beneath the surface of Mars without implying life there?

Regardless, if we drill down and do find life, the fundamentalists will just say that it's a sign of God's greater power, and then send missionaries. Or just take their usual tact of ignoring all evidence. They've ignored dinosaur fossils for the past 160 years, along with radiocarbon dating, so something as remote as Mars shouldn't stand in their way.

There was an article about Titan having all the necessary chemicals for life in today's LA Times. The problem is that it's too cold, so the chemical reactions that presumably led to life here couldn't take place. There's some speculation that Titan has volcanoes that spew ice.

What's interesting is that life is a chemical reaction. Scientists have created viruses already. That kind of puts a damper on the 7-day theory.

What gets lost in this is that life in a methane atmosphere must be extremely painfull to the smell. Poor aliens...hope they have 6 eyes instead of six noses.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    There was an article about Titan having all the necessary chemicals for life in today's LA Times. The problem is that it's too cold, so the chemical reactions that presumably led to life here couldn't take place. There's some speculation that Titan has volcanoes that spew ice.

What's interesting is that life is a chemical reaction. Scientists have created viruses already. That kind of puts a damper on the 7-day theory.
    Viruses aren't really considered "alive" in a lot of cases though. They need a host cell in order to reproduce. Scientists consider them in between alive and dead. Just FYI. There is an interesting experiment going on now in which scientists will try to create life from protocells.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    . . . the fundamentalists . . . ignored dinosaur fossils for the past 160 years, along with radiocarbon dating . . .
    How so?

Rob

An interesting fact about reptiles is that they never stop growing, Adam lived to be about 930-950 years old. There were dinosaurs roaming the world when Noah was around. Just reccently They found an 80 year old Croc in Africa some 14 tons 25 feet long and was feeding on on villagers. Hmmm 80 year old croc and 25 feet long, I wonder what would a 400-900 year old lizard would look like? I know what American science books teach but I would be interested if people from say Africa or Norway teach. Some places in the world still have "Dinosaurs" in the villages and surrounding areas. Actually the word Dinosaur was not even made up until the 1800's. Prior to this they were called dragons...

Consider what the bible says in Job 40:15-24
    15 "Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you; He eats grass like an ox. 16 See now, his strength is in his hips, And his power is in his stomach muscles. 17 He moves his tail like a cedar; The sinews of his thighs are tightly knit. 18 His bones are like beams of bronze, His ribs like bars of iron. 19 He is the first of the ways of God; Only He who made him can bring near His sword. 20 Surely the mountains yield food for him, And all the beasts of the field play there. 21 He lies under the lotus trees, In a covert of reeds and marsh. 22 The lotus trees cover him with their shade; The willows by the brook surround him. 23 Indeed the river may rage, Yet he is not disturbed; He is confident, though the Jordan gushes into his mouth, 24 Though he takes it in his eyes, Or one pierces his nose with a snare.

That sure sounds like Brachiosaurus to me. There are several places Dino's are referred to in Bible. I'm a Christian. I believe there were Dinosaurs, but I don't believe in the whole I came from goo to the zoo to you theory that they teach in school. I believe the world to be less than 10,000 years old (less than 7,000 actually) And using science and the bible it makes perfect sense. It's a heavy topic though but a very interesting one.

We are brain washed from about the age of 5 on that the world is millions and millions of years old, some books say billions of years even. Even Dr. Sues tells us this. If I had the time to write it all down I could show ya the evidence of in fact a 6 day creation. There is so much evidence out there but the books that we use in schools today only teach one universal creation of life and anything that we might find not supporting the creation theory as it is known as popular theory then it is left out of text books.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Quote Originally Posted by žeth
    An interesting fact about reptiles is that they never stop growing, Adam lived to be about 930-950 years old. There were dinosaurs roaming the world when Noah was around. Just reccently They found an 80 year old Croc in Africa some 14 tons 25 feet long and was feeding on on villagers. Hmmm 80 year old croc and 25 feet long, I wonder what would a 400-900 year old lizard would look like? I know what American science books teach but I would be interested if people from say Africa or Norway teach. Some places in the world still have "Dinosaurs" in the villages and surrounding areas. Actually the word Dinosaur was not even made up until the 1800's. Prior to this they were called dragons...

Consider what the bible says in Job 40:15-24
    15 "Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you; He eats grass like an ox. 16 See now, his strength is in his hips, And his power is in his stomach muscles. 17 He moves his tail like a cedar; The sinews of his thighs are tightly knit. 18 His bones are like beams of bronze, His ribs like bars of iron. 19 He is the first of the ways of God; Only He who made him can bring near His sword. 20 Surely the mountains yield food for him, And all the beasts of the field play there. 21 He lies under the lotus trees, In a covert of reeds and marsh. 22 The lotus trees cover him with their shade; The willows by the brook surround him. 23 Indeed the river may rage, Yet he is not disturbed; He is confident, though the Jordan gushes into his mouth, 24 Though he takes it in his eyes, Or one pierces his nose with a snare.

That sure sounds like Brachiosaurus to me. There are several places Dino's are referred to in Bible. I'm a Christian. I believe there were Dinosaurs, but I don't believe in the whole I came from goo to the zoo to you theory that they teach in school. I believe the world to be less than 10,000 years old (less than 7,000 actually) And using science and the bible it makes perfect sense. It's a heavy topic though but a very interesting one.

We are brain washed from about the age of 5 on that the world is millions and millions of years old, some books say billions of years even. Even Dr. Sues tells us this. If I had the time to write it all down I could show ya the evidence of in fact a 6 day creation. There is so much evidence out there but the books that we use in schools today only teach one universal creation of life and anything that we might find not supporting the creation theory as it is known as popular theory then it is left out of text books.
    Do they have flying pigs where you live? Like to talk more but I've got a cold. Better go find some leaches.

Talking Re: Methane and Life on Mars

Quote Originally Posted by žeth
    Well, if you believe that Seth, jolly good luck. It's not going to affect the rest of anyone's life one way or another is it? That sounds like Jehovah Witness culture actually - I'm probably wrong.
    So, what happened approximately 7000 years ago - did we just show up? And what about methane? Where does this come in?
    Of course, dinosaurs became extinct approximately 65 million years ago - no people around then apparently. This is a slight headache when trying to match up the 7000 year theory.

But one just can't trust scientists though - I see that now.

I'm far from being a Jehovah witness. I'm in fact a non denominational Christian. I believe the entire bible I don't pick and choose what I want to believe. I get the 7000 year time table using the geneology starting with Adam which the bible says is the first man through the death of Jesus Christ and doing the math from then to current day. About 4400 years ago there was a flood that covered the entire world and killed everything and everyone eccept Noah and his other family members (3 sons and their wives) and Noahs wife. They spent 120 years building a boat and took 2 of each kind of creature on the earth with them. Then they re populated the earth. Folks think something through with me. If the earth is really say 65 million years old today, which it's not, but lets say that it is. Why in the world did the Censes taken just over 100 years ago did we only have aproxatemently 1 billion people on the earth, and today just 1 hundred years later there is only 6 billion people on earth? Where are all the people at?

About your methane I honestly don't know much about it so I can't help you. They do have several findings of dinosaurs and human feet prints in a few museums next to each other that show that humans did in fact live on the earth the same time as dinosaurs. And not cave men as we think of them today. One of the most popular text book teaching is of the man who looks like he was ape then several transitional poses of him tranferring into a man as we look to day. Did you know that in fact that picture was just an artists rendition of what he thought it might be like? The evidence used for that was based on 1 foot bone and a tooth, from a human found in an area over 1.5 miles they found a few monkey bones in the same 1.5 mile radius that the mans bones were in and just said that they belonged to the same man. Another one in text books is the hunch back man with his hands all hanging down in the ground (again an artist rendition) Did it ever occur to anyone maybe the skeleton that they say was just an old man with arthritis who was bent over? Also it's a proven fact that as we age our bones above the eyes on our forehead continue to grow outward, very similar to a monkey or ape head.

Thousands of years ago there was a lot more O2 in the air than what we have today this is what allowed us to live to be so old. There are storys all over of people living to be hundreds of years old. Ever hear of Shangrala? The average age of the people there was 160 years old. The people back then grew a lot taller too. They have found a lot of human skeletons of men 8-11 feet tall all over the world. This is starting to get to long. I need to end this otherwise I could go on for probably 20 pages. All I'm saying is I love science but the evidence is just not there to support a theory as it is taught in our schools today. However both science and the Bible make things very clear. There is a lot I'm leaving out but if you look around and think a little about what is taught you start seeing the holes. Sorry this is not on Methane but I felt it was related.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast