• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    sponsored links


    ***Advertisments***
    Interesting read. http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/01/31/reid.transcript/
    (CNN) – The following is a partial transcript of Thursday's court hearing in which Richard Reid was sentenced to life in prison for his confessed plan to try and blow up a jetliner with explosives he had hidden in his shoes. The exchange is between Reid and Judge William Young.

    RICHARD REID: I start by praising Allah because life today is no good. I bear witness to this and he alone is right to be worshiped. And I bear witness that Muhammad Sa'laat Alayhi as-Salaam is his last prophet and messenger who is sent to all of mankind for guidance, with the sound guidance for everyone.

    Concerning what the Court said? I admit, I admit my actions and I further, I further state that I done them.

    JUDGE WILLIAM YOUNG: I didn't hear the last. I admit my actions and then what did you say?

    REID:
    I further admit my allegiance to Osama bin Laden, to Islam, and to the religion of Allah. With regards to what you said about killing innocent people, I will say one thing. Your government has killed 2 million children in Iraq. If you want to think about something, against 2 million, I don't see no comparison.

    Your government has sponsored the rape and torture of Muslims in the prisons of Egypt and Turkey and Syria and Jordan with their money and with their weapons. I don't know, see what I done as being equal to rape and to torture, or to the deaths of the two million children in Iraq.

    So, for this reason, I think I ought not apologize for my actions. I am at war with your country. I'm at war with them not for personal reasons but because they have murdered more than, so many children and they have oppressed my religion and they have oppressed people for no reason except that they say we believe in Allah.

    This is the only reason that America sponsors Egypt. It's the only reason they sponsor Turkey. It's the only reason they back Israel.

    As far as the sentence is concerned, it's in your hand. Only really it is not even in your hand. It's in Allah's hand. I put my trust in Allah totally and I know that he will give victory to his religion. And he will give victory to those who believe and he will destroy those who wish to oppress the people because they believe in Allah.

    So you can judge and I leave you to judge. And I don't mind. This is all I have to say. And I bear witness to Muhammad this is Allah's message.

    YOUNG: Mr. Richard C. Reid, hearken now to the sentence the Court imposes upon you.

    On counts 1, 5 and 6 the Court sentences you to life in prison in the custody of the United States Attorney General. On counts 2, 3, 4 and 7, the Court sentences you to 20 years in prison on each count, the sentence on each count to run consecutive one with the other. That's 80 years.

    On Count 8 the Court sentences you to the mandatory 30 years consecutive to the 80 years just imposed. The Court imposes upon you on each of the eight counts a fine of $250,000 for the aggregate fine of $2 million.

    The Court accepts the government's recommendation with respect to restitution and orders restitution in the amount of $298.17 to Andre Bousquet and $5,784 to American Airlines.

    The Court imposes upon you the $800 special assessment.

    The Court imposes upon you five years supervised release simply because the law requires it. But the life sentences are real life sentences so I need not go any further.

    This is the sentence that is provided for by our statutes. It is a fair and a just sentence. It is a righteous sentence. Let me explain this to you.

    We are not afraid of any of your terrorist co-conspirators, Mr. Reid. We are Americans. We have been through the fire before. There is all too much war talk here. And I say that to everyone with the utmost respect.

    Here in this court where we deal with individuals as individuals, and care for individuals as individuals, as human beings we reach out for justice.

    You are not an enemy combatant. You are a terrorist. You are not a soldier in any war. You are a terrorist. To give you that reference, to call you a soldier gives you far too much stature. Whether it is the officers of government who do it or your attorney who does it, or that happens to be your view, you are a terrorist.

    And we do not negotiate with terrorists. We do not treat with terrorists. We do not sign documents with terrorists.

    We hunt them down one by one and bring them to justice.

    So war talk is way out of line in this court. You're a big fellow. But you're not that big. You're no warrior. I know warriors. You are a terrorist. A species of criminal guilty of multiple attempted murders.

    In a very real sense Trooper Santiago had it right when first you were taken off that plane and into custody and you wondered where the press and where the TV crews were and you said you're no big deal. You're no big deal.

    What your counsel, what your able counsel and what the equally able United States attorneys have grappled with and what I have as honestly as I know how tried to grapple with, is why you did something so horrific. What was it that led you here to this courtroom today? I have listened respectfully to what you have to say. And I ask you to search your heart and ask yourself what sort of unfathomable hate led you to do what you are guilty and admit you are guilty of doing.

    And I have an answer for you. It may not satisfy you. But as I search this entire record it comes as close to understanding as I know.

    It seems to me you hate the one thing that to us is most precious. You hate our freedom. Our individual freedom. Our individual freedom to live as we choose, to come and go as we choose, to believe or not believe as we individually choose.

    Here, in this society, the very winds carry freedom. They carry it everywhere from sea to shining sea. It is because we prize individual freedom so much that you are here in this beautiful courtroom. So that everyone can see, truly see that justice is administered fairly, individually, and discretely.

    It is for freedom's seek that your lawyers are striving so vigorously on your behalf and have filed appeals, will go on in their, their representation of you before other judges. We care about it. Because we all know that the way we treat you, Mr. Reid, is the measure of our own liberties.

    Make no mistake though. It is yet true that we will bear any burden; pay any price, to preserve our freedoms.

    Look around this courtroom. Mark it well. The world is not going to long remember what you or I say here. Day after tomorrow it will be forgotten. But this, however, will long endure. Here, in this courtroom, and courtrooms all across America, the American people will gather to see that justice, individual justice, justice, not war, individual justice is in fact being done.

    The very President of the United States through his officers will have to come into courtrooms and lay out evidence on which specific matters can be judged, and juries of citizens will gather to sit and judge that evidence democratically, to mold and shape and refine our sense of justice.

    See that flag, Mr. Reid? That's the flag of the United States of America. That flag will fly there long after this is all forgotten. That flag still stands for freedom. You know it always will. Custody, Mr. Officer. Stand him down.

    REID:
    That flag will be brought down on the Day of Judgment and you will see in front of your Lord and my Lord and then we will know. (Whereupon the defendant was removed from the courtroom.)

    YOUNG:
    We'll recess. All rise.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

    Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

  2. #2

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    Why is that interesting? Richard Reid attempted to blow up a plane, so of course he has to go to jail. The judge is only parly right, and I don't see why that speech is appropriate in a court room. His directive is to enforce the law, not to play out fantansies that he's Abraham Lincoln delivering the Gettysburgh Address.

    America is a great place to live because we follow some forward-thinking documents based on what the French came up with during their revolution. Our behavior abroad, on the other hand, is horrendous. The Richard Reids of the world - idiotic, misguided, misinformed, and wrong as they are about the solution - aren't created in a vacuum.

  3. #3

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    I find it extraordinary that a judge would use an occasion like that to spout such a load of irrelevant jingoistic bollox.

    Of course I'm not taking anything away from the severity of the crime, or the appropriateness of the punishment, in this case. But it does fill me with confidence about the objectivity and clear-headedness of the judiciary, I must say.

  4. #4

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Why is that interesting? Richard Reid attempted to blow up a plane, so of course he has to go to jail.
    I think it's interesting that we have a guy who everybody pretty much agrees is guilty and he gets a public trial. Reid is lucky the government had such a good case, else he night have disapeared down the Gitmo black hole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    The judge is only parly right, and I don't see why that speech is appropriate in a court room. His directive is to enforce the law, not to play out fantansies that he's Abraham Lincoln delivering the Gettysburgh Address.
    I'd say you're giving Lincoln too much credit but that's a whole other argument...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    America is a great place to live because we follow some forward-thinking documents based on what the French came up with during their revolution.
    Which documents are those?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Our behavior abroad, on the other hand, is horrendous. The Richard Reids of the world - idiotic, misguided, misinformed, and wrong as they are about the solution - aren't created in a vacuum.
    You are spot on there, Nick. History didn't begin on 9/11 or any other date you could pick when some catestrophic event occured. Everytime I hear the phrases "They hate us for our freedoms" or "The world changed on 9/11" or how we're spreading democracy I want to whack the speaker with a very large leather-bound history book and say READ IT!!!
    - Layne

  5. #5

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    The Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights.

  6. #6

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    Just sounds like a couple of guys grandstanding to me. They're both full of sh*t.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

  7. #7
    Moderator/Developer Brian2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Out of my Mind
    Posts
    1,858

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...


    See that flag, Mr. Reid? That's the flag of the United States of America. That flag will fly there long after this is all forgotten. That flag still stands for freedom. You know it always will. Custody, Mr. Officer. Stand him down.

    REID:
    That flag will be brought down on the Day of Judgment and you will see in front of your Lord and my Lord and then we will know. (Whereupon the defendant was removed from the courtroom.)
    I found this most interesting

    It's pretty sad when a terrorist thug can out-wise a U.S. judge. All empires fall. The only way the U.S. endures is if idiots like this judge and those who appointed him are swept away with time... The judge, at least has some grasp of this - "No one will remember what we say here today". They will remember the legacy of failed policies, and short sighted judges and politicians who destroyed the spirit of the law with the letter of the law.

    ...2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

  8. #8

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    The only way the U.S. endures is if idiots like this judge and those who appointed him are swept away with time...
    I'm curious as to what makes you feel this judge is an "idiot" (or full of sh*t in robgb's characteristic lack of eloquence) and what makes him such a threat to the survival of the US. Sure, he sounds like a pompus windbag, but how do you make the leap to "destroying the spirit of the law?"

  9. #9
    Moderator/Developer Brian2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Out of my Mind
    Posts
    1,858

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    I'm curious as to what makes you feel this judge is an "idiot" (or full of sh*t in robgb's characteristic lack of eloquence) and what makes him such a threat to the survival of the US. Sure, he sounds like a pompus windbag, but how do you make the leap to "destroying the spirit of the law?"
    Quite right Xanax . I re-read what I posted. I didn’t mean that the letter was used to kill the spirit in this particular case, but it is being done, more and more in this country. Federal (and state) judges have been appointed on political grounds rather than ability. Impartiality is giving way to fierce political and or religious loyalty to interpreting our constitution. Republicans tend to accuse those who see a logical conclusion from the spirit of the constitution as being “Activist Judges”- accusing them of legislating from the bench. If it weren’t for “activist” judges, we would still have “Whites only” water fountains. It is my belief that the founders of this nation never intended for one political party or ideology to control all three branches of government. The executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government are currently under control of one party. This breaks down “checks and balances” and is therefore unconstitutional in my view, and needs to be addressed with some poor brave bastard introducing legislation to prevent this in the future. Does our constitution literally say that this is in violation? No. But It also doesn’t mention that I have the right to own a computer – that is an inferred judgment based on the spirit of the law.
    I don’t think that it is a stretch to say that control of all three branches of government is inconsistent with the very idea of checks and balances.And therfore, Unconstitutional.


    It doesn’t have to be a choice between “activist judges”, or “Southern Baptist Preacher Judges”, there is moderation. We have chosen the preachers for now.

    ...2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

  10. #10

    Re: Richard Reid sentencing transcript, interesting for many reasons...

    Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    I'm curious as to what makes you feel this judge is an "idiot" (or full of sh*t in robgb's characteristic lack of eloquence) and what makes him such a threat to the survival of the US. Sure, he sounds like a pompus windbag, but how do you make the leap to "destroying the spirit of the law?"
    They're BOTH full of sh*t. It's a bunch of political, quasi-religious, flag-waving, b.s. A couple of morons squaring off and comparing the size of their penises.

    What we need are guys like this to sit the f*** down and talk rationally about what's ailing them and try to heal rather than trying to play war with their words. And we're all guilty of the same thing.

    The sooner everybody realizes that, the better off we'll be.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •