• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mixing Questions

Share/Bookmark

Mixing Questions

First, I would like to say that I'm really enjoying using GPO! I'm also looking forward to the release of the Big Band collection. As a person that is new to using Sonar a have a couple of mixing questions. All of my writing is done using Finale. After transfering the midi file over to Sonar it appears that when I play my files, GPO responds to both mod wheel data and volume data created in finale. Which should I use for mixing and should I erase the unused data? Or should I erase both and start from scratch? Thanks for any help you could give me.

Aric

Re: Mixing Questions

Usually what I do is do all of my writing in a notation program (I happen to use Noteworthy Composer, which is the cheapskate version of Finale) and I use GPO studio for a general idea of what my peice will sound like. I don't try to make it sound real, I'm just aiming for a conductor's score that's "pretty" looking (it has all expressions, dynamics, tempos...etc. written in).
    Then I don't transfer anything to my sequencer (I happen to use Cakewalk Music Creator 2002, which is the cheapskate version of Sonar). Since I'm shooting for realism when I use Cakewalk, I don't use the MIDI file designed to look good in a score. I make a new MIDI file that's designed to sound good using the GPO DXi. (My version of Cakewalk doesn't support VST) This way I can focus on creating realism, instead of editing for realism.

Did that help? I know, I'm a cheapskate. I spent all my money on a speaker system that I use for monitoring. Actually, those speakers are REALLY good! They have a completely flat frequency responce (although some people think it's too bassie because of the 180 lb subwoofer, even though its weight and size have nothing to do with its output)

Sorry, I got way off topic........

Anyways, so that's my approach to writing and sequencing.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Re: Mixing Questions

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox32
    First, I would like to say that I'm really enjoying using GPO! I'm also looking forward to the release of the Big Band collection. As a person that is new to using Sonar a have a couple of mixing questions. All of my writing is done using Finale. After transfering the midi file over to Sonar it appears that when I play my files, GPO responds to both mod wheel data and volume data created in finale. Which should I use for mixing and should I erase the unused data? Or should I erase both and start from scratch? Thanks for any help you could give me.

Aric
    hey here is what i did Imported the midi file from Sibelius then drew in the Mod wheel data to fit the Volume, but make it more expressive using all channels so it goes over the volume controler. I did that in Sonar. Basically there is a Plugin that changes the volume to the mod wheel data but I still had to draw in a ton of mod wheel changes for more realistic and expressive playing.

Go Back to forum