• Register
  • Help

Topic: Moving to MAC with AMD64? How to do? External DAW control Surface needed also.

Share/Bookmark

Cool Moving to MAC with AMD64? How to do? External DAW control Surface needed also.

My systems:
    AMD64 @ 2.8 (beats G5 2.5 in terms of vst plug-ins)
    AMD XP 2800

Looking for a controller device, with or without FX.

Would like to use Digital Performer, Pro-Tools or Logic and use the AMD64 to control the EWQLSO Platinnum orchestra/Giga Studio 3, Sonic Strings, VSL Opus 1, GPO, etc on the PC.

Would like the main sequencer to be mac based.

My thoughts are if I do this right, I should be able to MAC-tize my
    working enviorment, have some sort of DAW controller, and yet, tie in
    my AMD64 to access the VST plu-in instruments.

I would appreciate some help on how to do this!

PS. Bottom line, ACCESS the AMD64 POWER VST intruments and use MAC as
    sequencer, and added controller. Some newer controllers have audio interfaces (01X (no surround), 1884 (no LED pan pots), but still pondering.

I have Giga 3, EWQLSO Plat, Atmosphere, ect, all on AMD64, looking to
    add MAC G5 1.8 with either Logic or DP and or Pro Tools LE.

Thanks for any help on controllers/mixers and sound cards and how to do this.
    I may not have the budget for all the suggestions, but at least if I have a starting point, I can build from there, eg, controller first, than another PCI card with ADAT or Optical in/outs, the problem, is how to access the AMD64 powerhouse with all my VST Instruments via Logic or DP 4.5.

thanks

Re: Moving to MAC with AMD64? How to do? External DAW control Surface needed also.

OK then, so I start with say a single 1.8 G5, throw in a RME card. Fine.

Now I want to access, link, synch, whatever you want to call it, to my AMD64, where on the AMD 64 I will run BFD drums, EWQLSO, Atmosphere, and Giga.
    What steps are needed that when I press the start button on LOGIC 7 that my AMD64 will start and output these vst instruments?

I will need a card on the PC as well correct? Or, say I add to the MAC a FW 1884 (tascam) controller with firewire/ADAT outs.

I'm still a little blurry as to how the LOGIC setup will run with AMD64 and it's VST plug-ins.

Please give me as much detail as possible. I am interested in the RME, and Tascam 1884 firewire controller which also works for MAC/Logic, but in some sense would bypass the need for a RME card at the time, still if I invest in both, how will the two (MAC/PC) lock?

On Mac, Video (quicktime), Logic 7, PC (see above).

I have too much invested in PC VST Instruments to start over, even though I am interested in the "node" function of the Logic 7.

Then again, XP OS 64 is said to arrive in April will show 30% gain, perhaps, in performance.

thanks again. My AMD64 card also has a dual ethernet and 1394b firewire as well, as a 4 port wire and 256 wireless router.

Thanks.

Re: Moving to MAC with AMD64? How to do? External DAW control Surface needed also.

This is what I'm doing.

Powerbook with m-audio Fireiwire 410 soundcard, Logic 7

Athlon 64 on Windws XP with AArdvark 24/96

I use MidiOverLAN CP installed on both computers. I alos use Brainspawn Forte Ensemble to hold and run EW GOLD, Stylus, other VSTi.

The midi is being sent via Midi Over LAN. And to hear the sounds being played I connect a SPDIF out from Aardvark to SPDIF in of FW 410.

That's pretty much it is a nutshell. Then in your sequencer you have to configure the tracks to access the channels within Forte on your XP machne.

Clear as mud?

OK then, so I start with say a single 1.8 G5, throw in a RME card. Fine.

I know that with Macs it always comes down to a money thing, but I would highly recommend that you go for at least the Dual 1.8 G5. The single processor G5 is not only be underpowered as far as G5's go, but the design and architecture of that machine is not up to par with the new innovations that Apple added on their Dual G5 line (such as higher bus speeds and higher memory expandability). I would look into the refurbished ones if it really is a $$ issue....but if you can...get the Dual, you'll be a lot happier in the long run!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    This is what I'm doing.
    Powerbook with m-audio Fireiwire 410 soundcard, Logic 7
    Athlon 64 on Windws XP with AArdvark 24/96

I use MidiOverLAN CP installed on both computers. I alos use Brainspawn Forte Ensemble to hold and run EW GOLD, Stylus, other VSTi.

The midi is being sent via Midi Over LAN. And to hear the sounds being played I connect a SPDIF out from Aardvark to SPDIF in of FW 410.
    That's pretty much it is a nutshell. Then in your sequencer you have to configure the tracks to access the channels within Forte on your XP machne.

Clear as mud?
    Well, if it's SPDIF, how many channels can you access in Logic of the vst instruments? For example, lets say in Logic, I have 2 instances of EWQL Strings, that's 16 outputs on the XP system, in Logic, will I have 16 midi tracks and adjustiilty? Panning, and so forth if yes. is the SPDIF just for auditioning until I bounce down?

I know that with Macs it always comes down to a money thing, but I would highly recommend that you go for at least the Dual 1.8 G5. The single processor G5 is not only be underpowered as far as G5's go, but the design and architecture of that machine is not up to par with the new innovations that Apple added on their Dual G5 line (such as higher bus speeds and higher memory expandability). I would look into the refurbished ones if it really is a $$ issue....but if you can...get the Dual, you'll be a lot happier in the long run!
    True and it's only a $500 dollar difference, but in the above scenario, wouldn't I be using the bulk of the horsepower on the XP system?

... And only the Dual 2.0 and Dual 2.5 come with the ultra-quick dual 1 ghz busses.

If you are gonna spend the cash - spend it right !! Its an investment!

I will need a card on the PC as well correct?
    Yes, you treat it like an external MIDI module. The only difference is that if you're using digital outs - and there's no reason not to - you'll need to think about digital clocking.

I have 2 MOTU 2408s on 2 machines. I clock them with the SP/DIF and run the audio through the opticals.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Go Back to forum