• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Modulations I - PREVIEW"

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb "Modulations I"

In my continuing peripatetic efforts to hybridize symphonic, trance, minimalist and polytonal, here's "Modulations I (Preview)" in HiFi and LoFi for your pleasure and comment (please).

As has been my pattern of late, it's GPO and "other". The piece is now just under 4 minutes and has (planned) another "break section" and recapitulation of the main section before a (planned) spectacular ending. So you'll be hearing a work that is very much "work in progress".

KevinKauai

P.S. For those who are interested in such things, the current "little break" section at around 2:40 leaves the 4/4 meter and goes into two measures in the "traditional 11/8" (as Don Ellis used to say), followed by one measure of 3/4 before returning to the main 4/4.

The orchestration (so far) is at least two articulations (each) for 1st and 2nd violins, violas, celli and double basses, harp, timpani, flutes, French horns, trombones, contra bassoon, English horn, clarinet and xylophone. [As usual, sequenced in Cubase SX 2 taking about a 1.2 meg RAM working set.]

UPDATE: The PREVIEW version links (above) are still effective, but the piece is now "finished" (though not published anywhere) and is here in HiFi (160K MP3) and here in dial-up-friendly LoFi (64K WMA).

Improvements were made to the Intro (less accordion-sounding, though some folks liked that "Parisienne" sound) and a second "break" was injected at 3:53 with a final recapitulation of the main "A" theme (this time with some trumpets quacking on off-sextuplets and xylophone pounding away on the on AND off beat of that so as to end up with 6 against 4). MORE COMMENTS?

Incidentally, the title refers to the constantly shifting chord structure. From a simple 8-chord (16 bar) pattern, variations are developed -- such that the "home key" is really never discernable.

FURTHER UPDATE: Just when you think something is "final" you wake up and smell the coffee. The links (just above) were updated to reflect this mornings' version. The original top links still reflect the first version for those who would like to compare.
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 02-21-2005 at 04:53 PM. Reason: DONE! [no longer a "preview"]

Re: "Modulations I - PREVIEW"

Very nice, minimal.

I am really impressed with the sound you are getting, can you let us in on some of your mixing techniques.

Regardless, your music is very good. I look forward to hearing more of this work.

A very successful blend indeed! Enjoyed the "traditional 11/8" break (traditional in Balkan gypsy music, perhaps?). And the clarinet solo is very nice. Look forward to the grand finale!

Ooh, Kevin. This is so cool. Yeah, I know, I don't have an enlightened comment to give you. All I can say is - DUDE! Cool! (I'm from California ). I can't wait to hear the rest - get crackin'! .

Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Very much my taste in music! I like this a lot! The oboe melody is great, although i would have liked to have heard other instruments take over the melody line at some points. Oh wait, I think a clarinet just did...

Not sure about the constant triplets from 4:00 on (is it a harp doing them?). They seem to detract slightly from the meter, but then it could just be my ears. I do like the pulse of the piece. Nice chord progressions too.

Thanks for sharing

Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Exclamation Re: "Modulations I - PREVIEW"

Gratifying that about 11 hours after posting on AcidPlanet this little opus has leaped into the NUMBER ONE slot! (You never know for how long, but I was awake to see it slide into #1 -- however briefly -- of "Current" pieces.)

If you want to hear the evolution of the piece, both of the earlier (unfinished) links are in the original post.

I'm off working on my next piece -- currently an UNTITLED symphonic/ambient piece -- PREVEWABLE here in HiFi and here in LoFi. (I've recently had an opportunity to place an "album" of ambient things with a digital distribution "broker" but I'm about 14 minutes short of their desired length (~ 65 minutes), so I've returned to ambient things for a bit. This track features 4 or 5 GPO voices and the usual "other" (including a couple complex "Combi"s from the Korg Triton Studio originally done as MIDI and then converted to audio tracks -- mastered in Cubase SX).

Well, since you've been revising I'm glad I waited to get around to hearing it

LOVE the flute chirps through the first part. This kind of all reminds me of something but I'm darned if I know what exactly. It's vaguely James Horner-ish, I suppose- hope them's not bad words!
    Of course, weird meters make me very happy, so I love that part. mallets at the end are cool.
    It's a great piece as always, perfectly arranged and the production is great- Fred gives it his 10 out'a 10!!

Nice work - My favorite is the Philip Glass-ish 2 vs. 3 triplets in the piano toward the end.

Keep it up!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Smile Re: "Modulations I - PREVIEW"

Well, if you read this thread carefully, you can follow the evolution of this piece (if you so choose).

I was thrilled when the first version posted on AcidPlanet went to #1 in Classical in about 11 hours on 22 Feb:

It languished around the top 5 for most of the rest of the week, then got a flurry of plays and more reviews on Sunday and bounced back up into the #1 slot.

Coincident with all this, was my getting Voxengo's "Elephant" limiter VST (mainly because I was working on another "large orchestra" piece between Friday and Sunday that was giving me fits with trying to eliminate the last 6 "clipping" incidents). So after gaining some confidence in "Elephant" (a neat VST that rivals the $300 "Waves L1" equivalent in a lot of minds) on the *new* piece, I decided to do a new render using Elephant. Because you can replace versions easily on AcidPlanet I did that, but for those who haven't registered there (you need to to download any "downloadable" version, which is, by convention, the higher-bit-rate MP3 file in most cases) I've put the same finally revised version of "Modulations" LoFi WMA and HiFi 160K MP3 in a special place on my own website.

Enjoy! And thanks to those who have commented as well as to those for which this "bump" might spur into dropping a line, suggestion or whatever!

KevinKauai

Thumbs up Re: "Modulations I - PREVIEW"

It's always a highlight of the day to hear your music Kevin.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum