• Register
  • Help

Topic: Modern Big Band Mockup - first draft

Share/Bookmark

Modern Big Band Mockup - first draft

Hi,

This is my first draft of a mockup of "Imagine What A Change Will Do" written by Carol Jolin and arranged by Tom Kubis.

www.stradjazz.co.uk/ImagineWhatAChange.mp3

Apologies for the clicking on the trombone solo low E's - I haven't found fix for this yet.

I look forward to any comments or suggestions you may have.

[everything done in Cakewalk Homestudio 2002 and GPO]

Re: Modern Big Band Mockup - first draft

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Hi,

This is my first draft of a mockup of "Imagine What A Change Will Do" written by Carol Jolin and arranged by Tom Kubis.

www.stradjazz.co.uk/ImagineWhatAChange.mp3

Apologies for the clicking on the trombone solo low E's - I haven't found fix for this yet.

I look forward to any comments or suggestions you may have.

[everything done in Cakewalk Homestudio 2002 and GPO]
    That's nice. Perhaps some use of CC64 would improve the legato of the 'bone. The attack sounds a bit synthy and unnatural. You might try it.

Thanks for letting us hear it.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I like the bluesy feel to this. Very nice. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions to improve the brass in this piece. It sounds very good but there are parts that sound a bit synthy.

It's great to hear jazzy-blues music done with GPO. This software is so versatile. And there's a Big Band version in the works to boot!
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Richard,

For first rough draft this is very good and refreshing. Excellent arranging and I just cannot wait to hear what you do with the Jazz & Big Band Collection you won by being the 50,000th poster.

As with any first draft, there are refinements that can be done. GPO has some performance controls that take a little practice but will yield great results. There are several trombonists on this forum (including Tom) who can give you specific trombone tips. As far as the clicks - make sure you installed the updated Kontakt Player which should have fixed this.

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed your realization very much.

Gary Garritan

Gary,

It's gratifying that you enjoyed this mock up.

I would just like to stress that this is not my arrangement - it is a Tom Kubis chart [www.tomkubis.com]. Although, the trombone solo and piano/bass/drums realisations are my own.

I agree that there are (very) many refinements required, and that is what I am working on at the moment - all instruments but particurlarly the drums.

As regards the clicks, I do have the Kontakt update so I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now.

I would certainly welcome any tips on how to achieve a better performance - I am a trombonist myself so I now what it should sound like, but that is different to being able to achieving this with software!

Cheers,

Richard N.

Go Back to forum