• Register
  • Help

Topic: Atmosphere and Sound Effects in Games

Share/Bookmark

Atmosphere and Sound Effects in Games

I have a question.
    I'm using Atmosphere for musical compositions, but I'm also working as a sound designer. Here's the question:
    Is it possible to use sounds from Atmosphere within a mix of other sounds (never soloed) to create sound effects for a game or a website or similar stuff?

Example: I have a couple of sounds mixed together for a spaceship sound (from regular SFX collections for example). I just need that magical extra something to make the sound complete. Atmosphere has some wicked low noises that would be ideal to put into the mix. Can I do this?

It does say in the licensing agreement that you can only use the Atmosphere for musical compositions. It can, of course, be argued that any mix of sounds with or without tonality is music etc. (blah blah blah), but I'm more interested in a straight yes or no answer. Has anyone else tangled this dilemma?

Thanks.

Re: Atmosphere and Sound Effects in Games

We had a discussion about this in relation to a Zero-g and Spectrasonics libraries a while ago. See here..........

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...altered+states

If you look at Scott Cairns' post, he quotes an e-mail response from Spectrasonics that should answer your question.

Steve

Thanks a lot.

I did a search on the forum, but obviously I didn't say the "magic word" hehe.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Godbluff
    Thanks a lot.

I did a search on the forum, but obviously I didn't say the "magic word" hehe.

Thanks.
    No problemo

Steve

Hmm.. that's an interesting issue. I guess this is something I need to consider since I'm developing a library for atmo/fx also. I'd like to make as flexible a license as possible.. why not allow people to use single sounds as game effects?

I guess the main reason for not allowing sounds to be used "out-of-the-box", is that it can be seen as a form of copying and distributing the licenced sounds.

Go Back to forum