• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Garritan User

Share/Bookmark

New Garritan User

Well, I've just placed my order for GPO and now I'm anxiously awaiting the package. I've gotta say, this is the best deal I've ever seen, considering the quality of the samples and how it also includes a sequencer and all that other good stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Just a quick question about the included sequencer Cubasis, though. I've read the tutorial for it as well as for other sequencers. Does Cubasis load reverb? I didn't see any mention of it in the tutorial. And if it doesn't, then what do you do with the included reverb program?

Now to pace the floors some more, lol.

Re: New Garritan User

Quote Originally Posted by Western Flame
    Well, I've just placed my order for GPO and now I'm anxiously awaiting the package. I've gotta say, this is the best deal I've ever seen, considering the quality of the samples and how it also includes a sequencer and all that other good stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Just a quick question about the included sequencer Cubasis, though. I've read the tutorial for it as well as for other sequencers. Does Cubasis load reverb? I didn't see any mention of it in the tutorial. And if it doesn't, then what do you do with the included reverb program?

Now to pace the floors some more, lol.
    Welcome Western Flame. I agree, GPO is the best bang for the buck!! The reverb included with GPO works within the Kontact interface.

Rick

Hi Western,

and another one goes, and another one goes
    and another one bites the dust, hey hey hey,

hey hey hey, congratulations on purchasing GPO!
    YOU WILL HAVE SO MUCH FUN!

We're all here to help
    DPDAN

Thanks for the welcome guys. I can see there's a lot of talented people here; hopefully I'll be able to work with GPO as well as you all have.

I've got just a couple more questions, if you guys don't mind.

1)How does the reverb work within the Kontakt interface? Do I load dry instruments when sequencing, then re-laod them as wet right before I export the audio?

2)What's the difference between the "Plr" patches and the "Solo" patches? Aren't they essentially the same thing?

3)I notice quite a bit of talk about setting the VAR1 and VAR2 knobs, but what is a good setting for them?

Thanks for your help.

Thumbs up Re: New Garritan User

Hey Western welcome to the show that never ends! You've made the best investment a musician / composer can make! It don't cost ya an arm and a leg but gezzzz can it make you happy! Can't wait to hear your first demo and hope to be talking to you soon!
    In that GPO package is a great verb system called Garritan Ambiance! I like it and it's user friendly.
    Once again, welcome!
    Styxx

Thanks for the welcome guys. I can see there's a lot of talented people here; hopefully I'll be able to work with GPO as well as you all have.

I've got just a couple more questions, if you guys don't mind.

1)How does the reverb work within the Kontakt interface? Do I load dry instruments when sequencing, then re-laod them as wet right before I export the audio?

2)What's the difference between the "Plr" patches and the "Solo" patches? Aren't they essentially the same thing?

3)I notice quite a bit of talk about setting the VAR1 and VAR2 knobs, but what is a good setting for them?

Thanks for your help.
    Most of your questions will be answered in the book, small, but packed. It would be a good idea to read it before you install, then install, fiddle a bit, then read the book again.

Then you should be able to ask very pointed, specific questions, and probably find most of the answers already here somewhere. Usually, it is a good idea to state your equipment specifications with your questions, as the answers can frequently be tailored to your situaltion.

Short answer to part of your concerns: don't load the wets - they are only for demo, and they really use up memory and cpu. For reverb, you can use the ambience of the GPO Studio. But I don't like Cubasis, so I can't say much about it. Plenty of others like it, and will offer help.

Richard

1) Richard is right. Use only the dry instruments. The Wet ones are for audition purposes only.

2) The solo patches are, for the most part, chromatically sampled instruments and, as the name implies, are intended to be used primarily for solo work. The "Plr" patches use fewer samples, are derived from their corresponding solo instruments, and do not contain any samples in common with other "Plr" instruments derived from the same solo instrument. There are three "Plr" instruments derived from most solo instruments. This allows the three derived "Plr" instruments to be used together without encountering phasing problems. "Plr" instruments are intended for ensemble building purposes.

3) VAR1 and VAR2 are designed to be situation-dependent and task-specific. They are not intended to be set to a value (any value other than "0," that is) for the duration of a part. They should be applied (by drawing data into your tracks) to specific notes or groups of notes that require them. The most common applications are repeated notes that cause the "machine gun" effect and rapid runs that usually need intonational/timbre variations to accurately emulate the behavior of acoustic instruments under these conditions. As with all controllers, these are intended to be controlled from external MIDI data (e.g. in your MIDI tracks), not the graphic knobs in the player, which are there for monitoring and testing purposes only.

Tom

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it.

Well, my GPO package has arrived, so I guess it's time to sit down and get to work.

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it.

Well, my GPO package has arrived, so I guess it's time to sit down and get to work.

Don't forget to download the updates. There are a ton of significant changes!
    Some of the instrument samples have been tweaked, the controls and keyswitching are easier, and the patches are arranged better in the menus.

Go Back to forum