• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Woodwind Quintet - My First GPO

Share/Bookmark

Woodwind Quintet - My First GPO

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have been lurking around here since October, and just got my copy of GPO Wednesday. I have not had a lot of time to compose with it yet, but here is a movement from a Woodwind Quintet I have in the works.

www.brasspigproductions.com/WWQ2.mp3

Feel free to leave any comments/advice. I hope to have some more demos up this week.

D. Sorah
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Woodwind Quintet - My First GPO

Quote Originally Posted by brasspig
    Hey Guys and Gals,

I have been lurking around here since October, and just got my copy of GPO Wednesday. I have not had a lot of time to compose with it yet, but here is a movement from a Woodwind Quintet I have in the works.

www.brasspigproductions.com/WWQ2.mp3

Feel free to leave any comments/advice. I hope to have some more demos up this week.

D. Sorah
    Very lovely, indeed. Please be sure to post the remaing movements when you have them ready.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Great composition! Nice chord progressions with a great melody on top. Looking forward to hearing more

Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much guys. I'm looking forward to more time to work with GPO. Such beautiful samples - the woodwinds are my favorite . . . obviously!

Thanks so much!

D. Sorah
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Donald,

When I first heard you Woodwind Quartet on the GPO chat I was amazed. Excellent wind writing and arranging. You must be very familiar with the woodwind instruments.

Thanks for posting this and I am looking forward to hearing more!

Gary Garritan

Thanks to you all for the kind comments. I plan to finish up another movement or two in the next couple days (possibly today if I can find the time.)

I appreciate your comments/tips/pointers/etc.

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Yes, it's a nice work, please refine and post the rest.

I don't know if a slightly rough expression is exactly your will. If it is, then it's ok. But if you would like to reach a mellow or softer sound sometime, I'm certain you are able to find it working with controllers: GPO controllers are really powerful, I love it.

regards

Fabio.

Fabio -

Since I am new to GPO, can you give me more details on what you are speaking of. I'm eager to learn!
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Smile Re: Woodwind Quintet - My First GPO

Thank you for sharing.

I have some time on my hands. . . I'm listening away. Of course I'm interested in listening to pieces using the GPO!

From a compositional point of view . . . I like your melody and the use of "rich" harmonies. It's very soothing.

From a sequencing point of view using the GPO . . . The "performance" seems "natural" without apparent use of heavy quanization. (This is something I need to work on with my sequencing projects using "softsynths".) Also,like you I'm new to GPO. I'm still figuring out how to use the midi-controller features to make the sounds variable including dynamics and subtle tambre changes. My only modest suggestion would be to add a little more variation with dynamics and subtle tambre changes as it relates to phrasing.

Nice work. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Sincerely

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

The way GPO is programmed in, let you create a very wide range of expressions:
    - the velocity changes the attack speed and timbre (not volume as you know, if not in percussions or keyboards)
    - the modulation changes the volume and the sound colour

But using it together, you will have hard attack in PP as soft attacks in FF, beside the more obvious hard forte or soft piano.

My suggestion is to start editing sequences using the graphic editor of Modulation (CC#1) and velocities, creating continuous variation, rithmic accents, articulations and little crescendos/diminuendos for every long note, and that is keeping it real and alive.

When you know the whole range of expressions available in this way, you can go fourther using special controllers for brigthness and portamento, and try to find variations (of intonation and timbre) controllers according to your music style and single phrases expressivity.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast