• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Woodwind Quartet - Finally Complete

Share/Bookmark

Woodwind Quartet - Finally Complete

Now that I have finished the last movement, my Woodwind Quartet No. 1, op. 7 is finally done. It is comprised of six movements of various lengths. i hope everyone listens and posts some comments. Thanks!

Quartet for Woodwinds No.1, op.7
    I. Elegy

II. Instance 1
    III. Interlude 1
    IV. Instance 2
    V. Interlude 2
    VI. Final Statements - Just finished!!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Woodwind Quartet - Finally Complete

Jess,

Congratulations on finishing this project. Very enjoyable and well done in all respects. I also like the particular acoustic perspective you have applied to the group. Others may prefer a drier setting but it is very similar to the woodwind ensemble concerts I attended while in college many years ago. Those concerts took place in a rather large ballroom and, from my favored seating position about half way back, sounded remarkably like this. Good job.

Tom

Thanks for your comments.

I know this one won't get too much of a response because of it's pretty extreme chromaticism, so I am grateful for anyone that drops a line.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

As I see my beloved Woodwind Quartet about to be relegated to page 2 and beyond I, grasping one last hope that some fans of more chromatic and less Hollywood type music, will listen to these six movements and leave some comment here!

In other words.... bump.....a humble bump.... a tiny one....
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

I've listen to bits and pieces of it and liked what I've heard, but haven't had time to listen to all 6 movements all the way through yet. Hopefully soon I'll get a chance...
    Trent P. McDonald

Sorry I didn't comment yet Jess. I haven't listened to all of it but I will certainly give this a bump for now, it will remind people to have a listen to the next movement.

I like what I have listened to so far but will reserve comment until I have heard all of it.

Best regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Thanks everyone! I know it looks long, but the Interludes are only a couple minutes long.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Good work, Jess!

The second movement would make a great demo track for GPO's woodwinds! Make sure Gary get's a copy.

I've only listened to the first two movements (so far), and my ONLY critique would be to add a bit more dynamic in the first, i.e. more contrast in loud and soft parts.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

What a major work! Congrats on finishing it up!

I wonder if you listen to much Hindemith. I'm hearing some as the woodwinds pass around melodies and play against each other. Not direct quotes, but just that style, which is really cool.

I also like the 'mini-fugue' I'm hearing in the last movement. Cool theme!

As others have mentioned, a bit more dynamic contrast would really intrigue the listener. One place in particular was with the last 5 notes. Possibly start mezzopiano and crescendo to forte at the end, giving a bit more drive to the final 'nail-in-the-coffin.'

Great work! Gotta love the Gary's woodwind samples! They're my favorite section!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Nice work, congratulations of finishing the multi-movement piece! I must admit, I'm not as used to the style, but I still enjoyed it, especially the last the movement. Well done, thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast