• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need some advice on recording project please

Share/Bookmark

Need some advice on recording project please

I am working on a recording using GPO and maybe some other VST instruments. The way it will work is this: I will arrange the songs in Sonar 4 (Studio Edition), render 24-bit audio files of each track and submit these files to the studio where they will be brought into Pro Tools for the completion of the project.

Now, my main question is regarding audio levels. Sorry, I tried a search but couldn't quite pinpoint my particular situation. When I have mixed my MIDI tracks in Sonar so that they are pleasing to my ear and render individual audio tracks from MIDI, the audio levels often seem quite low. What is my best approach here? Should I "normalize" each audio track, even though it throws off the balance of the instrument levels, and let the engineer remix? Should I disregard the balance altogether and render each audio track as "hot" as possible? If so, what should the maximum level be to avoid distortion? This is not a pop album, but rather a vocal album with accompaniment that is more classically orchestral in feel. I'm afraid I was only able to speak briefly to the engineer on this project and he is not available to answer my questions for at least another four to five weeks. I want to make sure I do this correctly and wonder if anyone else had some experience doing this and might like to share their advice with me as to what is usually done in these cases.

Also, should these audio files be rendered with or without reverb? Do I leave it to the engineer to decide what and how much reverb to use? I plan to send along a mix of my own for reference, but could use some helpful hints.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need some advice on recording project please

loo,
    Since you're using SONAR 4, I think this link may be helpful. Jsaras is quite well versed in the practice of mastering, is a frequent contributor to the SONAR forum, and highly regarded there.
    Bill

Re: Need some advice on recording project please

Thank you, that is helpful. Just wanted to get some idea of what the "pro" studio would expect to get from me. As always, I benefit greatly from the information shared on this forum and look forward to actually posting some music once this project gets a little further along.

Go Back to forum