Hi, I've been asked to send an mp3 of a piece I'm working on with clicks in it. I am not sure exactly how to do that. A click is basically going to hit the beat, right? So is this request to just put a click on the beat? Any tips or suggestions about how to go about doing this is greatly appreciated.
1) Create your mp3.
2) In your sequencer, load this audio file into a track.
3) In a 2nd track load a hi-hat sound / woodblock or whatever you want to be the click sound.
4) In this track that will form the click track, play in crotchets for a couple of bars, and quantize this to make sure the beats are accurate.
5) Copy and paste this couple bars across the whole length of the piece.
6) Pan the audio of this track to far right.
7) Pan the audio of the track that the original MP3 is on to far left.
8) Mix down to a new MP3.
9) You will now have the click on the left channel and the click on the right, so that when it is played through a PA system, the engineer will put a mix of both in the performer's monitors, and only a mix of the left channel (the music) to the audience.
There is another way to do it, but I have found this the easiest way. Hope it's of some help!