• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bardstown Audio's Acoustic Upright "THE BASS" Upgrade

Share/Bookmark

Bardstown Audio's Acoustic Upright "THE BASS" Upgrade

Dan Dean, who happens to be one of the best bass musicians in the world in addition to being one of the very best sampled instrument sound developers in the world, graciously offered to fine-tune Bardstown Audio's newest release, "THE BASS," which is an acoustic upright bass with gut strings rather than steel strings. Dan also has perfect pitch as well.

As good as this sampled 24 bit 96k acoustic upright bass sounded when it was initially released a couple of weeks ago, it sounds even better now. I have re-done the demos on our web site in order to reflect this fine-tuning upgrade by Dan Dean. There is also updated information on "THE BASS" information page on our web site as well.

All customers who have purchased "THE BASS" have been sent new DVD's which reflect this upgrade.

Here are links to the demos, which also feature Bardstown Audio's Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290 as well...

Enjoy!

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/bass01.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/tunisia.mp3

And here is our latest demo produced by Alan Russell...

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/bass02.mp3

For detailed information about "THE BASS," visit our web site at www.bardstownaudio.com

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Re: Bardstown Audio's Acoustic Upright "THE BASS" Upgrade

I forgot to mention that I wanted to say that Dan Dean and Tom Collier's new CD entitled "Duets" is being released today. I've heard this CD and it is simply amazing and I have never heard anything like it before. This is the very best bass and vibe playing I have ever heard!

All the best,

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I know that you have mentioned that the bass is very clean, and I suppose it's kinda too late for this request, but I really do wish you would have recorded some "noises" that the user can add at his/her own discretion.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Cool!! I have several of Dan Dean's libraries, and they are wonderful. How fitting that you two teamed up. . .you guys do sampling right!! I use Dan Dean's bass collection all the time. The Fender Precision and Jazz are the closest thing to the real thing I've found yet.

I'm excited that this new library is available. There are lots of bass libraries out there, but I like the fact this one's a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    I know that you have mentioned that the bass is very clean, and I suppose it's kinda too late for this request, but I really do wish you would have recorded some "noises" that the user can add at his/her own discretion.
    There are release note off samples on THE BASS which do add a great deal of character to this instrument by providing a buzzing sound when the finger is coming off of the finger board. The volume on these release note off samples is very easily controllable in all software samplers. On some music where you want an aggressive sounding bass this sound is very desirable, while on other music you will want very little of this sound if any at all. The volume on these release note off samples can easily be set from being loud to being completely off, and also at any volume level in between.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by sporter
    Cool!! I have several of Dan Dean's libraries, and they are wonderful. How fitting that you two teamed up. . .you guys do sampling right!! I use Dan Dean's bass collection all the time. The Fender Precision and Jazz are the closest thing to the real thing I've found yet.

I'm excited that this new library is available. There are lots of bass libraries out there, but I like the fact this one's a little different.
    Sporter, Dan does have great basses in his bass collection. For my music when I need an electric bass, Dan's are my first grab.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

In response to this as quoted on "THE BASS" information page on my web site...
    I know Kip, that's where I got the info to begin with. I still do wish that you would have given an option to the end user to add some noise if they wanted to or not. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that sometimes I want a crappy bassist on my recording and not a studio pro!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Midphase, there are release note off samples which capture the sound of the finger coming off of the finger board on this bass. The volume on these release note off samples is controllable, and on my demos I have these turned down quite a bit. By turning up the volume on the these release note off samples, which can easily be done in any sampler, you do get some buzzing noise. With the Giga and HALion versions, the volume of these release note off samples is very easily controlled with the mod wheel controller. In Kontakt you select the group 2, which are the release note off samples, and adjust the volume accordingly. In EXS24, you go to the group number 1 in the EXS editor, which are the release note off samples, and adjust the volume accordingly. All of these volume adjustments in all these samplers are very simple adjustments that anyone can very easily do. You don't have to be a skilled programmer in order to easily make these simple volume adjustments on the release note off samples.

All the best,

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Several people have requested to hear string noise in THE BASS, so I will be posting a demo later this evening where there is a great deal of finger noise with the release note off samples where I have turned the volume up on the release note off samples.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Great sounding demos! Alan's chops just keep getting smoother and smoother. I like the cool grooves of all three demos.

The demos confirm exactly what was advertised. The bass is ultra clean, and has a strong attack with a fast decay, compared to steel stringed basses. It's perfect for the laid back, smokey room sound.

Some of the bass libs with low action and more fingerboard noise work well for that out of control solo sound, but from the demos they seem a bit aggressive for meat and potatoes work. It's like they always want the spotlight. That can wear thin after a while.

The Bass sounds like an instrument that one will never tire of. It doesn't get in your face, but it won't get in your craw either.

-JF

Go Back to forum