• Register
  • Help

Topic: Still using 3.0 no probs, why should I update?

Share/Bookmark

Still using 3.0 no probs, why should I update?

I heard about the update helping some things and harming others. This was quite a few months ago but , if it aint broke.....

Re: Still using 3.0 no probs, why should I update?

Slinky,

An update keeps all issues fresh and clean. One can never know and experience ALL of the problems that have circumvented with v3.0. The programmers maintain a successful product by listening to the users. I for one appreciate their efforts and take advantage of their talents.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

If you aren't experiencing any problems, then 3.00 is fine for you. Mind you, some problems exist in the earlier version, but if you're workflow avoids them, the problems are invisible.

That said, 3.04 is quite solid. It's not perfect, but it fixes all of the high-priority problems introduced during the 3.01, 3.02, 3.03 cycle.

It sounds like you have little motivation to update, but you should also have few fears about 3.04. You could toss a coin, and not make a bad decision.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    That said, 3.04 is quite solid.
    It sounds like you have little motivation to update, but you should also have few fears about 3.04. You could toss a coin, and not make a bad decision.

-JF
    I've stayed with 3.03 since the recent upgrade has cuased problems for some.
    People can get that way with driver updates.

Hi kitekrazy,

3.03 has a problem with program changes. If you have any notes playing and you do a program change, the playing notes never receive a note-off command. If you don't do program changes, 3.03 should be okay. Anybody doing program changes or using GS live should move to 3.04. Hanging notes can be a disaster.

That said, 3.04 isn't perfect in this regard. When you do a program change in 3.04 all notes get note off commands. Ideally, the previous notes should continue to ring with the previous sound until you actually lift the keys. So, 3.04 isn't perfect, but it beats hanging notes.

I've read posts from some who still have hanging notes with 3.04. In one case the user had an extremely convoluted MIDI setup, so I think it was a case of drivers from various manufacturers getting in each other's way. I don't think it's a GS3 problem. I've never had a stuck note from 3.04.

There are other problems solved by 3.04, but stuck notes were the big one for me. If you never do program changes, your experience will likely vary.

-JF

I believe that there were issues with Hyperthreading ....I"m not sure which version corrected it ....I'm still running with Hyperthreading off as my system is running pretty solid now without it ....Jim

The only thing that I could use a fix on is the "audition mode" function.
    Using this tends to crash my system and I think I remember it being an issue
    for most if not all people.
    Has this been fixed?

Hi slinky,

Audition works fine for me, so it's not broken for everybody. At least it's a simple workaround - just drag and drop the instrument manually to the desired channel. No bugs are good, but at least that's not a critical one. Sounds like it might be related to hyperthreading conflicts.

-JF

Go Back to forum