• Register
  • Help

Topic: IDE bus question (primary/secondary)

Share/Bookmark

IDE bus question (primary/secondary)

I'm gonna reformat my machine tonight and was wondering which configuration is better for GigaStudio (2.5...blech) performance:

PRIMARY:
    HD1 (programs/software) - MASTER
    HD2 (all .gig files) - SLAVE

SECONDARY:
    DVD+/-RW - MASTER

or....

PRIMARY:
    HD1 (programs/software) - MASTER
    DVD+/-RW - SLAVE

SECONDARY:
    HD2 (.gigs) - MASTER
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: IDE bus question (primary/secondary)

Go with the second configuration. The Master gets the most bandwidth.

-JF

Argh. I went against this advice. Reason #1, the stupid IDE cable would not reach from the HD to the DVD burner.. no matter what. Plus, a friend told me that an IDE bus works as fast as its slowest device... so if I put an HD & DVD burner on the same IDE bus, the HD would perform slower. Not sure if that's true or not. But regardless, the stupid cable wouldn't reach.

Oh well..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

> burner.. no matter what. Plus, a friend told me that an

This is no longer true.

You need to move things around in the case to make the cables reach.

The two channels on an IDE port share the same IRQ, so it's important to get you second HD onto the second channel, with its own IRQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    > burner.. no matter what. Plus, a friend told me that an

This is no longer true.

You need to move things around in the case to make the cables reach.

The two channels on an IDE port share the same IRQ, so it's important to get you second HD onto the second channel, with its own IRQ.
    Impossible to move things around in the case to get them close enough. Believe me, I've tried.

Damned Antec Sonata. The hard drive cage is WAY at the bottom. And I was not able to get the HD into the 3.5" area, it seems to be reserved for floppies only. The HDs won't fit there. And I have no cable that will reach from the HD cage at the bottom all the way to the top where the burner is.

Next time I upgrade (HDs are next), I'll find a way. Or maybe ditch this Sonata. I think this case is overrated. It's given me more headaches than its worth. There are many other silent case solutions out there. I really dislike the HD cage orientation (the Sonata has it rotated 90 degrees so that the HD pins are facing you when you open the side of the case). It's quite a hassle for those who aren't pulling out HDs every week, because of the added distance the cables need to reach between devices.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Another option is to get an IDE card that goes into one of your PCI slots. They're about $30. That'll put everything on its own cable with room to grow.

-JF

I don't know how the Sonata's layed out, but you can get adaptors for mounting a HD in the 5 1/4" section next to the DVD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I don't know how the Sonata's layed out, but you can get adaptors for mounting a HD in the 5 1/4" section next to the DVD drive.
    Exactly! I have the Sonata case and I bought a 3.5 to 5 1/4 hd mount, so I have my boot drive installed above my DVD Drive.

Come to think of it, I have a similar setup. Long ago I bought a disk cooler. I kept the heatsink and removed the fans. It fits in a 5 1/2" bay.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling
    Just reverse the orientation of the HDs' and have connector sides facing the MOBO, as opposed to facing out toward you...shorter cable lengths would be needed then...
    Oh I tried that once, that's even more of a nightmare, getting the IDE cables behind the drive cage... it's very difficult.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Go Back to forum