• Register
  • Help

Topic: Been using GS 2.5 for 3 years and just noticed...

Share/Bookmark

Been using GS 2.5 for 3 years and just noticed...

I'm sending all midi channels out on channels 1 and 2. Which I think means GS is mixing all the midi channels together down to two channels. This can't be good...

When I go into hardware tab in GS, there is no way to send the outs to anything else but channel 1 and 2. Can't believe this is the way it's suppose to work. This means in cubase all instruments can only go onto one audio track.

Help and thanks,
    Joanne

Re: Been using GS 2.5 for 3 years and just noticed...

Hi Joanne,

I'm a bit confused by your post.

Anyway, Giga should publish its ports (2 for GS96, 4 for GS160), and you can load instruments to any of those ports. Each port has sixteen channels. If you load more than two instruments on one port, you're using more channels than two.

In Cubase you setup an instrument to go to the correct Port and Channel. That will send the MIDI to Giga.

The Giga output goes to your soundcard. It may have a single stereo output, or many outputs. Enable as many as you want in the hardware manager. Send the audio to those outputs. Be aware that if you use multiple outputs, you'll need to connect them to a mixer, if you want to hear them all. I just use one stereo output for simplicity.

In GS2.5 you can capture only one stereo output to wave at a time. Just solo the tracks that you want to capture, and go. Giga will print whatever you hear to a wave file.

In GS3 you can capture as many tracks as you have audio outputs enabled. In this case it's an advantage to have lots of outputs, so you can do parallel captures.

Does that help? Maybe that gives a context in which you can clarify your question.

BTW, I miss your provocative, philosophical posts and questions. You've started some of the most interesting threads over the years!

All the best.

-JF

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. You should get the NS award for most patient member. All your posts over the years have been much appreciated.
    This topic and my lack of knowledge may be beyond explaining via a forum and sorry for that.

When I use EWQLSO - as a vst instrument in Cubase, I have a Midi Channel and an Audio Channel that corresponds to each instrument. If I want to apply EQ or Reverb on an EWQLSO piano on channel 1 audio (which maps to Channel 1 midi), I can do that. If I want a different EQ application to a EWQLSO Cello on channel 2 audio (corresponding to Channel 2 midi), I can do that. With GS however, I can only get audio channels 1,2 in cubase for all 16 midi channels.

UsingGS v2.5, I have all 16 instruments loaded on 16 midi tracks on Port 1. When I look in the hardware settings for Port 1, it shows channels 1,2 - 25,26 with white checkboxes. Channels 27,28 - 31,32 are greyed out. I would expect that for each of the 16 midi tracks in GS, I could assign a corresponding channel out in GS, which would correspond to my audio channel layout in Cubase. However, I'm only given the option of Channels 1,2 for "channel out" for all 16 instruments. Over in Cubase I have 16 Midi channels, each housing a different instrument as it should, but only one audio track for all 16 midi instrument.

From your post, it sounds like that's the way it is suppose to work? If so where do you adjust audio for each midi track while you are composing if all instruments out of GS on 1 (channel 1,2) stereo out?

I know I'm looking at this all wrong, and it's pretty embarrasing..., but it is what it is....

Thanks also for your kind comments on some of my older posts. I've honestly run out of interesting questions. Maybe I could try re-posting some of those from way back, as we have so many newer members now.

Thanks,
    Joanne

> "...From your post, it sounds like that's the way it is suppose to work? If so where do you adjust audio for each midi track while you are composing if all instruments out of GS on 1 (channel 1,2) stereo out?"

Ahhh. That's why they call it GigaStudio, rather than GigaSampler.

You can adjust the volume and pan of each instrument in GS independently. And you can add the NFX effects to each instrument. In effect, you can do most all of your mixing in GigaStudio itself.

GS3 takes it even further. It has groups and aux busses, so you can route the signal all over the place. Of course, it adds GigsPulse. And it has compression and a four band parametric EQ. You can also add your own VST effects to the signal chain. There's really no need to do any mixing after capturing to wave in a multitracker, or sequencer. (Unless you want to run more effects than your CPU can handle in one pass.) GS3 can do all of audio processing tasks that you can think of throwing its way.

GS3 also has Rewire, which works in much the same way as you mention with Cubase and VSTis. The MIDI goes directly to Giga, and the audio returns directly to the sequencer. The version of Rewire that they used only supports sixteen channels at a time, but it's still a convenient way to work for many.

Anyway, it sounds like you're using GS2.5 to its fullest.

If you think of any new questions about musical/mixing philosophy, post away! (And barring that, the old ones would work too.)

-JF

Thanks Jon -

Helpful to know I'm not missing something. So I need to do basic audio adjusts, panning all in GS. Once I get things right, I create audio tracks one midi track at a time and then can add additonal effects on to the GS audio tracks. I also need to investigate GS3.

Hope you live on the west coast - otherwise you should not be posting this time of night.

Much appreciated,
    Joanne

Go Back to forum