• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius users? Dealing with the beams...

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius users? Dealing with the beams...

How do I get Sibelius to unbeam some of the notes it has automatically beamed? Let's say I'm in 4/4 time and they're all 8th notes, Sibelius has beamed the first four 8ths notes together and the rest are paired, it shows a clear definition of where the beat is.

How can I unbeam those first four notes into their correct paired sections?
    Any info is appreciated.

Capt Hook
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: Sibelius users? Dealing with the beams...

If you have Sibelius 3 you can do one of two things:
    Select the notes you want to re-beam. Under the menu heading "Notes" choose "Reset beam groups" and change "Group 8th note quavers" to 2,2,2,2 (for a 4/4 bar in which you want eight notes to all be connected in groups of 2). The other option is to change them individually. If, for example, you have a group of four connected eighth notes and you want to split them into two groups of two eighth notes, highlight the 2nd of the 4 eighth notes, and then scroll through the keypad windows using the keypad's "plus" key until you see the keypad window that has among it's various icons several types of tremolos. Choose the icon that looks like a 16th note with a tail pointing left, and this will divide that group of four eighth notes into 2 groups of 2 eighth notes. Hope this helps!
    - robjohn

There's another way you should find quicker (works in all versions of Sib):

Go to the third page of the keypad, select your note and click on the symbol marked "Start beam" (first in 2nd row).

Wonderful and very helpful information gents! Thank you very much.

Capt Hook
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Poolman wrote:
    >There's another way you should find quicker (works in all versions of Sib):

>Go to the third page of the keypad, select your note and click on the >symbol marked "Start beam" (first in 2nd row).

Actually, that's the method I was trying to (inelegantly!) also describe with my post :-)...Best!
    - robjohn

Go Back to forum