• Register
  • Help

Topic: GSt3 & Pro Tools LE - GST3 stops working

Share/Bookmark

GSt3 & Pro Tools LE - GST3 stops working

Hi,
    Can GST3 (using a Hammerfall Light) and Pro Tools (using an 002 Rack) exist on the same machine and not cause each other problems?

Machine - Athlon XP 2600+ - Win XP SP2
    Sound cards:
    - AP2496 used for GSt3 MIDI input
    - RME Hammerfall Light (DIGI9636) used for GSt audio output
    - 002 Rack via TI 1394 controller

When I start the machine and load GSt3 with some gigs then GSt's keyboard works, MIDI input works, and GSt makes sound. This has been my setup for the last month using GSt3. Everything has been fine.

To free up my laptop for some Linux audio work I've tried putting Pro Tools on the GSt machine. GSt works fine still, and Pro Tools works fine, but after starting Pro Tools GSt no longer makes sound. The software keyboard doesn't work and it doesn't respond to external MIDI either.

After closing Pro Tools GSt continues to not work. I cannot get it back so far without rebooting.

I don't know if Pro Tools MIDI drives GSt correctly as it's not part of what I need to do. I'm generating MIDI outside of this box and depend on GSt to respond to the AP2496's MIDI input.

Is this some sort of automatic ReWire thing going on? If so is the root cause that PTLE is taking GSt over or that GSt is giving itself to PTLE. How do I fix it? (If it's possible.)

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: GSt3 & Pro Tools LE - GST3 stops working

This is what I get from your post. You have GS3 on a laptop, and use the RME for it with another midi input(AP2496). Now you're adding a PTLE 002R (verison 6.4 or 7, I assume) onto one laptop.
    My guess is that once you start a PTLE session, it takes over GS3 via rewire. I had my computer setup like this, but if you want to use them at the same time, you don't need the RME or AP2496. I didn't like the way it worked - I only got GS3 to feed two channels at a time into PTLE. That's why I'm building a kick donkey PTLE computer and keeping this one for GS3 only (with a gsif2 card).
    I think that if you want to use them seperately, you need to reset (in the GS3 config manager) the rewire feature to off. And I think you need to do this everytime after using PTLE. Hope this helps.

Re: GSt3 & Pro Tools LE - GST3 stops working

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGalindo
    This is what I get from your post. You have GS3 on a laptop, and use the RME for it with another midi input(AP2496). Now you're adding a PTLE 002R (verison 6.4 or 7, I assume) onto one laptop.
    My guess is that once you start a PTLE session, it takes over GS3 via rewire. I had my computer setup like this, but if you want to use them at the same time, you don't need the RME or AP2496. I didn't like the way it worked - I only got GS3 to feed two channels at a time into PTLE. That's why I'm building a kick donkey PTLE computer and keeping this one for GS3 only (with a gsif2 card).
    I think that if you want to use them seperately, you need to reset (in the GS3 config manager) the rewire feature to off. And I think you need to do this everytime after using PTLE. Hope this helps.
    Erik,
    Thanks for responding. I tried disabling ReWire functionality but it didn't help. GSt3 is still dead unless I reboot.

I think I should not have mentioned the laptop as it seems to have confused things a bit. The situation **WAS** this:

Laptop - Win XP - PTLE 6.7cs8
    Desktop - Win XP - GSt3

and I'm **TRYING** to switch to this:

Laptop - Fadora Core - Linux audio stuff

Desktop - Win XP - GSt & PTLE 6.7cs8
    GSt - AP2496 for MIDI, RME for sound
    PTLE - 002 Rack

At this point both GSt and PTLE are installed on the laptop. Both work one at a time and running GSt does not upset PTLE, but running PTLE upsets GSt. GSt stops working after running PTLE and I cannot get it to work again until I reboot.

Again, thanks for the idea on ReWire. I've turned it off as I don't think I'll be using it.

Thanks,
    Mark

Go Back to forum