• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HELP with MIDIoverLAN and Cubase!

Share/Bookmark

HELP with MIDIoverLAN and Cubase!

I\'ve got everything working between my Giga machine and Cubase machine. When working in Cubase I can record MIDI through MIDIoverLan from GigaStudio just fine. After I\'ve made what I want in Cubase and go to export, I try playing my WAV file I just exported and its just silence like it didn\'t pick up the MIDI data/sounds. Is there some way to merge MIDI data into audio or something in Cubase? What am I doing wrong?

It seems also that I can\'t apply any effects to my Giga MIDI track in Cubase.

Please help before I put my fist thourgh my moniter...

Will

Re: HELP with MIDIoverLAN and Cubase!

Originally posted by wmusser:
    I\'ve got everything working between my Giga machine and Cubase machine. When working in Cubase I can record MIDI through MIDIoverLan from GigaStudio just fine. After I\'ve made what I want in Cubase and go to export, I try playing my WAV file I just exported and its just silence like it didn\'t pick up the MIDI data/sounds. Is there some way to merge MIDI data into audio or something in Cubase? What am I doing wrong?

It seems also that I can\'t apply any effects to my Giga MIDI track in Cubase.

Please help before I put my fist thourgh my moniter...

Will
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Will,
    i\'m not sure I\'m undestanding you right but, the audio export function in Cubase is only for audio mixdown or rendering VSTi\'s in Cubase, it won\'t work with Giga on a separate PC.
    To do that you need to route your Giga audio outs to the audio inputs of your Cubase machine and play the midi track to Giga while recording the audio out of Giga into Cubase.
    Same with FX tracks ( assuming you mean audio FX) you will only be able to apply them to an audio track recorded as described above.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the help, hoping you can help me abit more.

Let me just tell you how I have my rig setup. Maybe I am routing something totally wrong here...

I have 2 machines. The Giga machine which has a Delta 66 in it, with my studio moniters hooking into the Delta\'s breakout box \'outs\'.

On the sequencing machine (Cubase), I have an Audiophile 24/96 with my midi keyboard going into its midi interface. Both machines are linked through S/PDIF for the audio. So S/PDIF Giga out to the Cubase in, and the S/PDIF Cubase out to the Giga in. Got me so far?

I have MIDIoverLAN on my Cubase set to \"MIDI to LAN\" and my Giga set to \"MIDI from LAN\". That all seems to be working great.

Now, I\'ve gotten the audio to play correctly out of both machines.

Here is how I\'m working in Cubase. On MIDI track 1, I am playing Giga. I play whatever I want to play, record it in Cubase (on the MIDI track), it records all of the midi data, but evedently, you say I am supposed to be doing this on an AUDIO track. Thats where I\'m getting confused here. I\'m hoping this is just a newbie mistake, but I spent hours the other night trying to get it to work properly. How can MIDI work in unison with an AUDIO track?

I\'m loosing it here man... please help!

Thanks again and looking foward to your reply yo getting this working [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Will

I have 2 machines. The Giga machine which has a Delta 66 in it, with my studio moniters hooking into the Delta\'s breakout box \'outs\'.

On the sequencing machine (Cubase), I have an Audiophile 24/96 with my midi keyboard going into its midi interface. Both machines are linked through S/PDIF for the audio. So S/PDIF Giga out to the Cubase in, and the S/PDIF Cubase out to the Giga in. Got me so far?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OK, that all sounds fine. But how are the clocks configured for the digital connections?
    If you don\'t know what I mean, one PC must be digital clock master, the other a slave.
    The problem is the audiophile\'s SPDIF input only works if the card is set to slave to SPDIF clock.
    I don\'t know the Delta 66 but if it\'s the same as the Audiophile then your digi connections will only work in one direction at a time.

So, how are the 2 cards configured?
    Also if you load a piece of audio into a Cubase audio track and play it, do you hear it?

I have MIDIoverLAN on my Cubase set to \"MIDI to LAN\" and my Giga set to \"MIDI from LAN\". That all seems to be working great.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That all sounds fine.

Now, I\'ve gotten the audio to play correctly out of both machines.

Here is how I\'m working in Cubase. On MIDI track 1, I am playing Giga. I play whatever I want to play, record it in Cubase (on the MIDI track), it records all of the midi data, but evedently, you say I am supposed to be doing this on an AUDIO track. Thats where I\'m getting confused here. I\'m hoping this is just a newbie mistake, but I spent hours the other night trying to get it to work properly. How can MIDI work in unison with an AUDIO track?
    Will
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">no, what you are doing is fine and you can continue adding midi tracks until you run out of midi ch\'s or memory in Giga or your piece is finished.
    But, in your first post you asked about VST FX, if you want to apply VST FX you can only do this to an audio track. So you would record the midi track to an audio track to allow you to add the FX.
    If you want realtime FX when you\'re composing you can use the FX built in Giga.
    hope this makes sense, i\'m a bit rushed ATM

Brian

Brian,

Ok I think I have the Delta 66 set to slave. All audio is being linked back to my Delta 66 cause the moniters are hooked into the outs of the Delta66. However I can play other applications just fine on my Audiophile, FruityLoops for instance, I can play and render WAV files just fine on the Audiophile. When I play music out of Cubase, in the Audiophile control panel the S/PIDF sound mixer channel recognizes the audio, so I know that the Audiophile is recognizing the audio.

I think my prob is in Cubase...

I still don\'t understand though how to record Giga into Cubase through audio with my setup. I can only get it to do midi, and even then i can\'t render to WAV. On the Cubase VST Inputs, the S/PDIF IN is recognized as well. Could you elaborate abit on that?

Thanks for your help.

Will

Hey Brian it just dawnedon me...lol

Is there are way in Cubase where after I record everything i want on a MIDI track, is there a way to just record it to audio in Cubase? Get what i\'m saying?

So say on my MIDI track, once everything is recorded (through MIDI) how do I get that linked to an AUDIO track?

Will

Brian,

Ok I think I have the Delta 66 set to slave. All audio is being linked back to my Delta 66 cause the moniters are hooked into the outs of the Delta66. However I can play other applications just fine on my Audiophile, FruityLoops for instance, I can play and render WAV files just fine on the Audiophile. When I play music out of Cubase, in the Audiophile control panel the S/PIDF sound mixer channel recognizes the audio, so I know that the Audiophile is recognizing the audio.

I think my prob is in Cubase...

I still don\'t understand though how to record Giga into Cubase through audio with my setup. I can only get it to do midi, and even then i can\'t render to WAV. On the Cubase VST Inputs, the S/PDIF IN is recognized as well. Could you elaborate abit on that?

Thanks for your help.

Will
    OK so you\'re Delta 66 is Slave, this means you can play audio from Cubase to Delta66 ( and your speakers) but you can\'t record audio from Giga to Cubase, as the Audiophile Spdif in only works if the audiophile is set to slave (meaning the Delta 66 has to be master)
    This is a PIA but the Spdif interface is designed this way.
    All you can do is connect a pair of analog outs from the Delta 66 to the Audiophile analog ins and use this when you want to record the output of Giga to Cubase.

BTW the audiophile Spdif input appearing in Cubase doesn\'t mean it\'s working just that the audio card has one.

Brian

Ok, so all I need is to buy some analog cords? I have the MAUDIO Studiophile moniters, will analog cords work with those? Or do i just run the cords straight fro card to card, do I have to change any settings on my audio cards?

When I play MP3s and WAV files on my Audiophile everything works fine, are you sure this is the only way? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Will

Brian,

Thanks again. I think its all starting to make more sense. One thing though, The Audiophile card doesn\'t have the quarter inch inputs like the Delta 66. All it has is the S/PDIF, and audio in/outs, but not the 1/4 inch jacks.

Is it possible to just use a mixer in this situation? Just connect the mixer to the Delta 66 outs and connect the Audiophile RCA to 1/4 inch to one of the mixer channels? Or is you solution the easiest?

Thanks

Will

Will

Ok, so all I need is to buy some analog cords? I have the MAUDIO Studiophile moniters, will analog cords work with those? Or do i just run the cords straight fro card to card, do I have to change any settings on my audio cards?
    Will
    No offence, but if you\'re asking questions like that, you really need to spend some time reading all your manuals, particularly the parts on signal routing in the audio card manuals and Giga manual [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    After you\'ve read it, draw out your config so you can see how it\'s all going to work.

To answer your question, you would connect the analog outs(3+4) of the Delta 66 directly to the Audiophile analog inputs and leave your monitors where they are.
    you will also need to
    1. configure the Delta 66 card(in the Delta control panel) so that Out\'s 1+2 are the monitor mixer (probably already is set to this)
    2. Delta 66 out\'s 3+4 to outs 3+4
    3. you will need to configure Giga so that all signals go to out\'s 3+4 (probably set to 1+2 ATM)
    4. In the Audiophile control panel you will set SPDif out to be monitor mixer(probably already set to this)
    5. In Cubase, set monitoring to \"global disable\"
    6. Also in Cubase to record your Giga output to Cubase you will select Audio In 1+2.
    Hope I haven\'t forgotten anything [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously though, spend some time reading the books, it\'ll pay off in the long run. The more you understand your system, the more you\'ll get out of it.

hope this helps,
    Brian

Go Back to forum