• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

Share/Bookmark

Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

The Music Technology program of the Music Department of Northeastern University, Boston has announced an electronic-music composition contest for high school composers. The first prize will be a cash award of $250 and a performance of the winning work on a public concert at Northeastern in Boston in the Spring, 2005. The first place winner and second place winner will receive a free copy of Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Edition and Garritan Personal Orchestra sample library. The music departments of both winners will also receive a copy of the programs. Deadline for receipt of works is March 25, 2005. For complete contest rules and information, click Here.

This is a great opportunity for young composers. There are talented high school students here on Northern Sounds who may qualify, or you may have a high school son or daughter or know a friend that may like to enter.

Gary Garritan

Re: Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

Sounds great! Too bad I didn't fail my senior year. Doesn't look like Virginians are allowed to enter anyways . . .

Sonar 4 and GPO? That's a heck of a prize! Hopefully the winner will become a part of the community!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

Too bad I cant write....

~Fire
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Fire, you can . . . look deep within your heart . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

If I reverse the digits of my age I would be seventeen. Maybe I can dye my beard and sneak in.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

The winners of the high school competition have been announced.

To hear the winning works go to:

http://www.musictech.neu.edu/mt_musicnews.html

I had an opportunity to visit Northeastern last week and speak with some of the students and faculty last week. Kudos to Dr. Dennis Miller. I simply cannot believe all the talent I have seen with young people these past few weeks. Congratulations to the winners.

Gary Garritan

WOW!!!

I would have been crushed if I'd entered that contest!
    Personally, I think the top winners were in reverse order. I liked the third one the best. It was REALLY good!!! I really don't know how to describe its goodness. The second one wasn't quite as good, IMHO, but I still REALLY liked it. The first was a bit too abstract for my taste, but that's just a personal preference and doesn't have anything to do with the ability of the composer.

Great job to everyone!

-Chris

Thumbs up Re: Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

Awesome! I second what Sean stated, "Sonar 4 and GPO" what a perfect package for a prize! GPO has single-handedly brought the Symphonic Orchestra to the youths of the world!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum