• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

Share/Bookmark

Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

The Music Technology program of the Music Department of Northeastern University, Boston has announced an electronic-music composition contest for high school composers. The first prize will be a cash award of $250 and a performance of the winning work on a public concert at Northeastern in Boston in the Spring, 2005. The first place winner and second place winner will receive a free copy of Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Edition and Garritan Personal Orchestra sample library. The music departments of both winners will also receive a copy of the programs. Deadline for receipt of works is March 25, 2005. For complete contest rules and information, click Here.

This is a great opportunity for young composers in the northeast. There are talented high school students here on Northern Sounds who may qualify, or you may have a high school son or daughter or know a friend that may like to enter.

Gary Garritan

Re: Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

Very nice man! Too bad I'm not still in High School...

But then again, when I was in high school I didn't even know I could write music, just went to parties and took care of the girls who drank too much (was the only one sober enough to do it). Will we get to hear the performance? Always interested in young up and coming composers .

James W.G. Smith

Re: Composition Contest for High School Composers - Winner gets work performed & GPO

At first I was going to recommend this to a brilliant young high school student I have been working with from time to time...but then found out it is limited to residents of certain states only.

1. Applicants must be full-time students in an accredited high school, grades 9 - 12, in one of the following states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, or Vermont.

Oh well...he is in Arizona.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Only east coast then? Bummer.

James W.G. Smith

Too bad Canada isn't on there

That sucks I live in sunny Florida...AURGH!

Northeastern is my top choice, and there's nothing I love more than composing and working with synthesized sound. You can bet I'm going to cook up something awesome for this (even though I already have GPO).

Good luck to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    Northeastern is my top choice, and there's nothing I love more than composing and working with synthesized sound. You can bet I'm going to cook up something awesome for this (even though I already have GPO).

Good luck to everyone else
    me too
    me to
    me two
    me 2!!

The winners of the Northeastern high school competition have been announced.

To hear the winning works go to:

http://www.musictech.neu.edu/mt_musicnews.html

I had an opportunity to visit Northeastern last week and speak with some of the students and faculty last week before the performance. I simply cannot believe all the talent I have seen with young people these past few weeks.
    Kudos to Dr. Dennis Miller and Northeastern for encouraging high school students and congratulations to the winners.

Gary Garritan

i kinda expected more from the winners....

Go Back to forum