• Register
  • Help

Topic: Video game music

Video game music

Hey, Gang.

If I may be so bold, this is my second demo post, in as many minutes .

This is my second assignment offering in the "Music for the Media" diploma course.

It called for four short cues for a "video game similar to Lara Croft or Doom". There were no visuals for this assignment, just descriptions of the cues.

The scoring was entirely GPO, with some other incidental sounds provided through (the now defunct) LiveSynth Pro (in combination with some groovy soundfonts... remember them?).

Assignment 2 A
    A video game similar to Doom.

01 A Dark, Wet Cave (1:57)
    02 The Door Opens (sting) (0:05)
    03 The Corridor (1:20)
    04 400 Enemy Soldiers (1:18)
    Steve A. Gallant

Re: Video game music

Excellent stuff, Bermuda! Very Tomb Raider-esque, as you said. What did you use for percussion for 400 Enemy Soldiers? Is it just GPO? I would believe it if it is - GPO actually has some very good percussion samples, if used well.

Btw, "The Door Opens" link didn't work for me.
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall

New York City

WOW!!! Send this out to game studios and they'll be clamouring for you to compose music for their game. Amazing!

The style is very different from the music in Doom and Tomb Raider. Doom, especially, is actually very guitar and percussion driven. I think this is MUCH better . I'd love to see more 1st person shooters and adventure games with music of this calibur.

You deserve an "A"!

- Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

Hello, Kin.

Most of the traditional percussion elements (B.D., cymb., tam tam, etc.) are straight out of GPO. The more metal sounding elements (anvil strikes, for example) are from a soundfont (loaded via a LiveSynth Pro DXi) called Noise Pollution, manufactured by Sonic Implants.

Hi, Michael.

Thanks very much for your generous words!
    Steve A. Gallant

Go Back to forum