• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cooperation with notation software developer?

Cooperation with notation software developer?

If I remember well, there was a very similar thread not too long ago. Why do sample library developers do not cooperate with notation software developers and make a notation software that works perfect with for example EWQLSO? It would be a huge It would be a huge difference to how it works now. If I need staccato samples it automatically loads staccato samples if I use staccato marks in the score, it automatically makes crescendos, if I show in my score, that I want a crescendo at a specific part of my score etc. Of course I could type in the starting velocity and the velocity where the crescendo should end, there would be different curves of the crescendos from which I could choose and for fine tuning the curve could also be set manually. I think that's what the developers should concentrate on now. The sound of the most libraries is really good now, very realistic. The main problem is the very slow working with them instead of just writing the score and getting the great sound right out of the box.

What do you think about this? I read about this new software (was it called novation?), and I think it's a great Idea, but it would be much better if we could use the libraries we allready own, wouldn't it?

Re: Cooperation with notation software developer?

Benecs> I've sort of set up my own working environment, which is very much based on this idea that you are describing. I usually extract the audio samples from the gig or nki (or whatever) files of the libs I own and program my own sample patches and compilations. By doing that, you can control how these sample patches reacts to commands from sequencers and other programs. For example you can set them to react to MIDI control or sysex data sent from a notation working environment.

Lee mentioned relevant problems, but with the help of controlled crossfading samples, things such as timely adaptive sfz is quite possible. The thing is you have to load all the samples into your sampleplayer to get immediate access to them which eats alot of memory, but I can testify it works very well.

Still, notation is notation and means that you wish to hear a true and neutral (boring and lifeless) representation of the articulation you "wrote". You don't want any personalization or interpretative coloring at all, because then you are not hearing what you wrote. If one wants to be the composer AND performer at once then there is no way around heavy midi editing in a non-notational sequencer - not until we have organical media control anyway.

For me, a composition is a composition and its quality has little to do with how it sounds. Any performance finesse or good sounds is just a bonus - a sugar on top. Good sounds makes no fundamental difference to the heart of a composition to me. That is why I use a more notational approach. And if I had to adapt to all the different methods of bringing sounds out of the libs that the creators thought I would (GS, maple midi re-router, maestro tools, performance tools etc etc) I would have given up a long time ago.

I think that the possibility of making programs that uses sounds the way you are thinking of, is alot easier to do than what the presence of such programs on the consumer market today might suggest - simply because I'm already half way there, on my own I think that the absence of such programs on the consumer market is due to that there is no big consumer market for such a way of working. There are those that would like this way of working but the market for selling sound libs for use with you present sequencer is 100 times bigger, must be hard to find investors for not 100% profitable and alternative ideas. Notion is a first (at least for me), and it's going to be interesting to see what it can do.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Orcas Island

There already is cooperation between this sample developer and notation programs. GPO has been working closely with notation programs since it was first released. GPO Studio allows notation users to play from the score. This month Keyboard Magazine did an article about using GPO with notation programs: "Have Your Own Orchestra-in-Residence: Turning your orchestral scores into demos with Garritan Personal Orchestra."

Human Playback within Finale 2005 has a feature within the program to optimize for GPO. Also various plugins and tutorials for Finale and Sibelius have been written for use woth GPO.
    See our Finale Page, our Sibelius Page and our Overture Page

GPO has taken significant steps to cooperating with the notation programs but this is only a start. The upcoming Overture 4 is very tightly integrated with GPO. If you type in articulations and markings (as you mentioned) it will automatically happen. There are also other advances happening that willl turn a few heads.

The new software you were referring to, Notion, is very tightly integrated with the sorchestral samples (the London Symphony Orchestra). I had the change to spend some time with Jim at Notion last week at MENC and what they are doing is incredible and more features are coming.

Gary Garritan

Thank you for your replies!

Your answers were very interesting. I'm sure it's now too far that we will have notation programs, that are combined with sequencers, so that we could easily bring out the best sound of our libraries.

Go Back to forum