• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pedal up/Pedal Down for Bowing

Share/Bookmark

Question Pedal up/Pedal Down for Bowing

The solo violins in GPO are stunning. My only issue is that I don't own a keyboard and was wondering how to achieve the alternating bowing effect (Pedal up/Pedal down) with my sequencer's piano roll.

Re: Pedal up/Pedal Down for Bowing

It would be helpful to know what sequencing software you are using, however, all you need do is enter midi controller number 64 at a fairly high value like 127 for pedal down, and a low value like 5 or 10 for pedal up. In some sequencers I believe, it’s just on or off. In Digital Performer on a Mac, we just select controller number 64 then draw near the top of the graph. When we want a pedal down we draw a dot in the lower part of the graph around number 1 or so. Not sure how it works on other sequencers, but maybe this will get you started.

Again welcome. You've come to the right place.

Hope this helps,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    It would be helpful to know what sequencing software you are using, however, all you need do is enter midi controller number 64 at a fairly high value like 127 for pedal down, and a low value like 5 or 10 for pedal up. In some sequencers I believe, it’s just on or off. In Digital Performer on a Mac, we just select controller number 64 then draw near the top of the graph. When we want a pedal down we draw a dot in the lower part of the graph around number 1 or so. Not sure how it works on other sequencers, but maybe this will get you started.

Again welcome. You've come to the right place.

Hope this helps,

Karl
    Yes, it does help! I'm using Sonar 3 on a PC. Thanks a lot for your assistance. I really appreciate it!

One other thing: The GPO Update added keyswitched solo strings. The keyswitches give access to automatically alternating up and downbows, forced upbows, and forced downbows among other articulations. Switching is as easy as putting the correct keyswitch notes in your tracks at the appropriate places. See the Update documentation for details.

Tom

Go Back to forum