• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Why RD700SX or SRX-11 sound better than most of big sampled piano ?

Share/Bookmark

Why RD700SX or SRX-11 sound better than most of big sampled piano ?

Hi,

Who works for Roland ? Can they produce bank for Gigastudio 3 or Kontakt 2 ?

Kontakt 2 will have the best features for piano. But we need developpers with the same level and quality than the sound designer of Roland.

The recording sessions is the most important. Each sound of Piano should have a goodl level of S/R without click and distorted sound.

One sampled Piano with no noise is the Steinway B produced by Eastwest.
    That's why the sound is so warm and nice.

Regards,

Olivier

Talking Re: Why RD700SX or SRX-11 sound better than most of big sampled piano ?

...I ordered one with the SRX-11 card and will give some comments/ demos when I´ll receive it.....

Re: Why RD700SX or SRX-11 sound better than most of big sampled piano ?

Roland makes great great sounds. One of the masterminds is Mr Persing, who jumps in here from time to time. Might be others around as well that I'm not aware of.

Roland have most of their expansion sounds available on sample CD as well (Roland Sx format). Many of those CDs are actually not listed on Roland's u.s. homepage, which is a pity. I have a few of those and I have to agree with you; the sounds are really good and very priceworthy. I keep returning to L.A. Composer strings back and forth. Those strings are huge sounding and actually sound better than many sample libs for twice the price (and size) and they have a large number of articulations as well. They may not be as "real" as real some string libs, but they do sound alot better from a general perspective than many attempts to make real-sounding strings.

I guess the name Roland is mostly turns people's heads towards synthesis and hardware rather than software, but they stand up really good against the software elefants in the jungle.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

I played on a RD-700SX with a SRX-11 card and thought that the build-in piano sounded better than the card, which is funny, since the two should be close related. I really loved the RD-700SX. It's Roland's best "stagie" yet.

------------
    Alex Cremers

What you are likeing is the EQ that is applied to the samples themselves.

Most giga libs have zero processing and thus sound flatter.

Roland and Yamaha have had a couple decades of experience eq ing pianos for the keyboards.
    Giga piano lib owners have to go through that learning curve as eq ing pianos is about the most difficult thing to do.

The other thing Roland can do that you can't do with giga libs is eq each individual sample.
    It's way easier to eq each sample than to eq an entire piano since every cut or boost to a specific area has repercussions in other ranges.
    Its always a set of trade offs when eqing pianos.

In search of the perfect piano, I have a Yamaha P250 , most of GS3 piano libraries, and last week bought the RD700SX.
    The RD700SX is very nice, and I am very happy with it, but for player "connectivity", and the whole playing experience I still prefer the P250 although it is too big and heavy to take on gigs. The GS3 pianos still have their place though. I particularly like Emperor for solo playing. Such a rich, majestic sound which the P250 or RD700SX do not have. Also love the Black Grand for jazz playing within a trio setting. Unfortunately the note volumes are not perfectly even, and the top register seems too loud for the bass and middles. When I get a chance. I will study how to rectify this, which I am sure is possible.

In summary, I think all have their place in making music...and once again it is all very subjective, and one persons opinion differs from anothers...But the "best" solution I can find at this stage is to use my Yamaha P250 at home, midied with GS3 libraries (Emperor and Black Grand), and for gigs use the RD700SX which is very nice.

A final thought...with the money I have spent on the latest audio computer, GS3 and dozens of libraries, my P250, CS6R and PLG150-PF, Roland RD700SX (with 2 SRX expansion boards) all to have the Holy Grail of pianos......I could have bought a real Yamaha C7 and had some $$$'s left over! Sometimes I wonder about myself!

Mal

They don't.

But if they are closer to what you like... that's another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier
    Hi,

Who works for Roland ? Can they produce bank for Gigastudio 3 or Kontakt 2 ?

Kontakt 2 will have the best features for piano. But we need developpers with the same level and quality than the sound designer of Roland.

The recording sessions is the most important. Each sound of Piano should have a goodl level of S/R without click and distorted sound.

One sampled Piano with no noise is the Steinway B produced by Eastwest.
    That's why the sound is so warm and nice.

Regards,

Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    I played on a RD-700SX with a SRX-11 card and thought that the build-in piano sounded better than the card, which is funny, since the two should be close related. I really loved the RD-700SX. It's Roland's best "stagie" yet.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    I just got my Roland RD300SX this afternoon and I LOVE IT. The Grand 1 patch is beautiful. And there are some compression settings that allow one to boost various frequencies that make playing through a P.A. much easier. Roland has really done it with this board. Got rid of my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 for the RD300SX and I feel that I finally have a great action and controller for my softy-synths as well as a wonderful resident piano sound (and a few others) for gigging with once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy
    They don't.

But if they are closer to what you like... that's another matter.
    They are closer to the real Steinway B (Hamburg - not an fake americain Steinway B) of my music school. And better for the size.

Still prefer my tweaked Eastwest Steinway B (private version) and Roland sounds.

Tired of several bad library.

Regards,

Olivier

Well, they don't have release samples, Olivier. The release is covered up in the reverb.
    And while I agree that they do sound better than a lot of "older" libraries, I certainly don't think they sound more alive than, let's say, 'Old Lady' or 'Black Grand' or the upcoming 'Virtual Steinway' by Art Vista. The Rolands sound great but I'm not altogether sure how they hold up in a real solo context. Compared to 16 dynamic layers, they might sound a little sterile.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast