• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

OT: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

Has anyone tried these? I have a pair and love them. Not only are they great for noise cancelling, but once turned on, you can plug them into an ipod, etc. You end up having the overall volume way less than normal, because you are not competing with outside noise!!

Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media

Re: OT: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

Yep. I've got them. Not ideal for mixing, but works good for straight up audio listening.

My wife bought me a pair, knowing how I hate noise. But -- I didn't like them at all. Had a sense of sub-audible buzzing or pressure constantly, plus a slightly audible hum constantly. So I insisted they be returned! Plain old good quality closed headphones work better for me. For heavy airplane travel the noise cancellation might make some sense, on the other hand.

I own the Quiet Comfort 2 phones. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have these. To me they're perfect for just listening to music, but obviously no good for mixing.

It's one of those things where, when you first put them on, it's noticeable that there's a difference, but the real difference is wearing them for 10 minutes or so, and then taking them off. THEN it's noticeable that the air conditioner sounds loud as hell! haha
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media

Yeah, I've been there Eric. I was in a hotel not that long ago doing some melody tinkering on the laptop sitting right next to the AC. Had my Quiet Comforts on and as happily plugging away. Turned them off and wham. I'm like, "is that AC really that loud?!" Its amazing really.

The hum takes some getting used to initially, but once you wear them for any amount of time, it becomes discernable to the ear (almost.)

I got a pair of the EM-3's universal in ear monitors from future sonic, I'm gonna get a molded pair (or molded sleeves) for them next.

They actually sound pretty friggin good. I'm totally impressed. I was fully expecting the bass response to be way over hyped, and a big dip in the mids, with really accented highs and transients ( I had a pair of the SONY earhones that did some cancelation and accented bass response... those sucked big time)

I use a pair for the drummer in my band to get a click track since we play along to some pre recorded electronics/midi sequences. He loves it. hey dont blow out his ears and work as ear plugs as well

I used it on the flight back from NAMM, and if anyone who's tried to listen to earphones on an airplane knows, that when they're reving the engines on take off or landing, its REALLY hard ot hear things even at full blast. I had it down to under half way up on volume and still could hear fine.

they're not cheap tho. 99 bucks or so. I cant wait to get a molded pair and a wireless receiver for in ear monitoring live....

I havent triedc the bose tho, my experience with bose (while limited in both time with them and to stereo/home theater systems) is that they always have accentuated highs and lows and that the mids are always jsut .... one dimensional... Is that the case with the earphones? The sound is "big" and theoverall sound is 3 dimensional, but the mids in particular jsut sound flat compared to teh highs and lows
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Wink Re: OT: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

I've had the original Quiet Comfort headphones for longer than I've been making music on the PC. I agree with the majority of posts - I love them. I can compose early or late when the wife is asleep & not catch you know what cuz 1) she doesn't like the music I write & 2) its too loud!

Polaris - New Age/Classical
    Aardvark - High Energy Melodic Instrumental Rock
    Available at CDBaby.com

I just wish someone would sell noise-cancelling headphones that eliminated ALL frequencies (complete silence). I contacted a manufacturer once, and they told me they wouldn't create a product like that due to product liability concerns.

Go Back to forum