• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Name that sound...

Share/Bookmark

Name that sound...

Anyone with extensive Pink Floyd gear knowledge here? I'm keyboard ignorant for the most part but would like to know what keys Pink Floyd used. Alot of their songs contained synth sounds, most of them sounded unique to them (by my ears anyway). I'm most interested in later Floyd (while Waters was still with them though) like Animals, WYWH, The Wall and The Final Cut.

Can anyone tell me some of the keyboards they used and maybe list the songs they are in (I'd particularly like to know about "Dogs" (the ending) and "In The Flesh")?
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: Name that sound...

The main synth you hear on The Wall was a Prophet 10. Of course, Hammond was always a major sound on all the Floyd albums. IIRC, the end of Dogs is the B3. In the early days Rick had that other little organ, and I have no idea what it was. It could have been some kind of Farfisa but it looked more like a home organ. Anyone know on this?

Dark Side featured the VSC3 synth (an inhouse unit at Abbey Road, somewhat siimilar to a Minimoog in layout) and I think he used a Mini on later albums. Animals has a lot of Rhodes and clavinet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    ...the end of Dogs is the B3...
    The part that goes:

Who was born in a house full of pain
    Who was trained not to spit in the fan
    Who was told what to do by the man
    Who was broken by trained personnel
    Who was fitted with collar and chain
    Who was given a pat on the back
    Who was breaking away from the pack
    Who was only a stranger at home
    Who was ground down in the end
    Who was found dead on the phone
    Who was dragged down by the stone
    That was a B3? If so - I have to find one of those.

20 Things

I think so- just heavily overdriven. I haven't heard that in years though, so I should probably check it out again before I commit myself to hard!! I can hear it in my head though- yeah, organ, gotta be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    The part that goes:

That was a B3? If so - I have to find one of those.
    Yeah - get your cheque-book out if you want of those beauties plus the Leslies to go with it - in good working condition.

From memory - Rick Wright started off using a Farfisa Compact Duo or Combo - great peice of kit - usually they went through WEM gear in those days, but later started their own hire PA company - really one of the first groups to use a PA system as it's known today. Britannia or something like that, it was called.

Later, Rick Wright started using Hammond B3's or C3's etc. with Moogs and Arps - anything really.

In their most recent times, especially on stage, Kurzweil with fully packed sample system and ram.

When in the studio, they would use anything they wanted throughout the years and the progression of technology, so it's difficult to know exactly what was used - indeed Rick Wright probably couldn't tell you straight out.

For a good Hammond sound via a computer there is of course the NI B4 which is very good and as good is the EVB3 that comes with Logic. Either will fool just about anyone to all intents and purposes.

If I was playing live today, I would have no hesitation using a B4 rather than lugging the B3 and Leslies around. Sorry, watching others lugging the B3 around, which is almost as painful.

Oh yeah- In The Flesh?? opens with the B3 as well.

Hey, I still have a CV organ in good working condition that I'll give away to anyone who comes and gets it! You have to get your own Leslie though- I'm keeping that to use with (yes!!) the B4. Through a Leslie or Motion Sound cabinet it's a perfect emulation.

Another one- Rick used ARP String Ensembles a lot. notably, on Dogs it's an Omni 2. You can hear it all through the beginning and the breakdown where the word "stone... own...own" repeats infinitely. I think the weird solo in that part is a Prophet 5 but it's hard to really be sure.

Paul,

I meant a sample lib version of it - all my "gear" is virtual but my acoustic. I'll check out some of the other instruments you mentioned while I surf for their sampled counterparts.

Thanks.

20 Things

Rumor has it that 'Animals' and 'Wish You Were Here' will be released as SA-CD this year. Here's hoping! You can't get better, sound wise, than those two.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Paul,

I meant a sample lib version of it - all my "gear" is virtual but my acoustic. I'll check out some of the other instruments you mentioned while I surf for their sampled counterparts.

Thanks.
    Alan

Ahhh! You never said sample lib - I still think in terms of real when someone says 'keyboards'. There's been that confusion.

Like Fred says - a Native Instruments B4 is really about all you'd need for Hammond playing. That is really the one to go for. The EVB3 is peculiar to Logic, which you obviously don't use.

Then there's the playing technique (-; - hehehe. Fast keyboard action is best, which I don't have.

Animals in SACD! Can't wait - hope The FInal CUt follows it soon (my fav Floyd album).

Thanks for all the replies guys. Two questions...

It was said that the B3 was overdriven on Dogs - is this a function of the instrument itself - or do you mean an overdriven effects pedal - or overdriven to tape (hot signal at like +3db VU)?

Second, is anyone using the NI B4 Xpress plug-in? Will I be able to achieve backing organ sounds (like that on Dogs) with this plug? Any other recommendations?

20 Things

Go Back to forum