• Register
  • Help

Topic: A "My First GPO Piece" post

Share/Bookmark

A "My First GPO Piece" post

Having been a long time fan of Lucasarts adventure games, the first thing that came to mind when wondering what pieces I could orchestrate (as a way of getting to grips with the inner workings of GPO) were midi cues from some of their wonderful soundtracks.

The following piece is originally from 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis', and is a short cue from an excavation site located in Iceland. Please keep in mind that this is nothing more than a learning exercise, complete with the unwanted glitches from the 'Full Strings Sus+Short' patch that I haven't been able to get rid of yet (I'm not even sure what's causing it as it is not being played with the DFD extension, and even so I'm using the 'export mixdown' feature of Cubase which doesn't record in realtime so there shouldn't be any artifacts appearing)...

http://www.aoqk55.dsl.pipex.com/iceland.mp3

Hopefully I shall get round to re-orchestrating some original compositions shortly, just as soon as I've squished the odd gremlin in my system!

Edit: This gremlin appears to be down to an incorrectly looped cello sample, and I'm the only person with the problem. I guess something went funny on installing the updates.

Re: A "My First GPO Piece" post

Quote Originally Posted by navidson
    Having been a long time fan of Lucasarts adventure games, the first thing that came to mind when wondering what pieces I could orchestrate (as a way of getting to grips with the inner workings of GPO) were midi cues from some of their wonderful soundtracks.

The following piece is originally from 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis', and is a short cue from an excavation site located in Iceland. Please keep in mind that this is nothing more than a learning exercise, complete with the unwanted glitches from the 'Full Strings Sus+Short' patch that I haven't been able to get rid of yet (I'm not even sure what's causing it as it is not being played with the DFD extension, and even so I'm using the 'export mixdown' feature of Cubase which doesn't record in realtime so there shouldn't be any artifacts appearing)...

http://www.aoqk55.dsl.pipex.com/iceland.mp3

Hopefully I shall get round to re-orchestrating some original compositions shortly, just as soon as I've squished the odd gremlin in my system!

Edit: This gremlin appears to be down to an incorrectly looped cello sample, and I'm the only person with the problem. I guess something went funny on installing the updates.
    Oh, just excellent! I am also a huge Lucasarts fan and I remember this piece from Indy/Fate of Atlantis very well! it's great to hear it GPOed! Nice work, Navidson! It's funny, I was looking at some old Lucasarts Midis the other night (including Iceland) and thinking about GPOing one of their game tunes. I really wanna do a Monkey Island GPO mock up, taking it from reggae to orchestral It's nice to meet another Lucasarts fan out there. Shall we embark upon a Monkey Island tune? Largo LeGrande's theme? Le Chuck?

Thanks for posting this

Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

I think you are the real deal. This is truly excellent. Minimalist fare, but great judgement in your chords and textures. And the oboe ornaments are just right and add depth and interest to your harmonies. Once, the oboe melody alone changes the string chord from a major to minor sound which was a cool effect.

Sometimes the string patch sounds a bit static in the longer sustains, so I'd like to see either a real string section tackle that (ha ha!) or some other slowly changing sound or string patch that helps keep those contemplative chords interesting. I'm not sure if I like GPO strings to be honest.

Kinvint: Largo LaGrande's theme for sure! In fact, your suggestion gave me the idea for my personal picture

Metrobot: I think the realism of the strings in this piece is mostly my own laziness as I didn't make use of the player patches.

http://www.aoqk55.dsl.pipex.com/iceland_strings.mp3 < I just took the string part and loaded up the many individual strings, this might sound a lot more realisitic as the individual players are now weaving in and out of each other. There's still more I could do to add to the realism, this was just a quick attempt (and I ruined the dynamic contrast in the process I think, but nevermind ).

Obviously though the GPO strings won't sound quite as good as their GOS counterparts (despite most of the samples (apparently) being sourced from there) due to having only one dynamic level and not having chromatic sample mapping. I think the key with GPO is in the layering of the many, many patches, and the final result is wonderful for a library with such a (relativly small) database of raw samples.

Thanks to both of you for the positive comments!

WOW! So this is what it's supposed to sound like! I've been playing Fate of Atlantis on my Pocket PC (I'm currently in Atlantis) and all I get is FM Synthesis. The strings sound phenomenal! Very nice job! So, uh, you don't want to convert all the music, do you?

I want to go back to Iceland and play the game while listening to this version.
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Quote Originally Posted by navidson
    Kinvint: Largo LaGrande's theme for sure! In fact, your suggestion gave me the idea for my personal picture
    I keep checking back to hear Largo's theme....but, alas, nothing yet...

Got anything to share yet?

Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

I'm going to hold out until the Big Band library is released before tackling Largo's theme

I see you posted this a while ago, but since it was resurrected I am seeing it for the first time . . . a really nice rendition! I am, of course, a Lucas Arts fan also . . . I look forward to Monkey Island 5 . . . someday . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum