• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Samplitude 7 pro and GS

Share/Bookmark

Samplitude 7 pro and GS

Hi,

I am a new user, I am trying to play samples from my midi keyboard that are loaded into GS and record into Samplitude 7 pro.

1) From GS, I can play the instrument from the virtual keyboard.
    2) I can play the samples from my midi keyboard thru GS.
    3) I have my output ports setup in GS
    4) I have those outputs that GS is using disabled in Sam. I can record into samplitude, I see midi data, the meters reflect that something was recorded, the problem is I am not getting any output to the mixer(DA7). Like I said I get output thru the mixer (DA7)from within GS, only when I bring up sam from GS I get no output. It\'s like the outputs are not being designated correctly. Could you walk me thru the steps on this configuration.

5) I have an RME 9652 with the latest drivers installed. I have updated GS as well.

Any help you could give my would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Samplitude 7 pro and GS

Hi,

If you\'re only recording GS output, forget about the DA7. It\'s best to wave-capture directly using the record button in GS. This saves the audio as a .wav file which you can then open in Samplitude, launched afterwards. You only need the sound card for monitoring whilst you capture.

If you are recording live with GS and other external instruments using the DA7 you may have a problem monitoring GS whilst capturing. However -check the \"playback whilst record\" box in the record window in Sam.

Hi Beckers,

Thanks for trying to help!!

I\'m getting midi to the I/F, I can record a sequence on my keyboard and play it back thru gigastudio thru the DA7. I can playback the same sequence and record it in sam, but I hear no sound. I have playback while recording on I have disabled the output ports that giga is using in sam, but I get no output sound. The goal is to record other instruments live thru the DA7 including the giga instrument all into samplitude..

Thanks

I assume you want to record audio in Sam, not midi, using your keyboard and GS. So the problem you have is that, with Sam launched you cannot monitor the GS output, although you say it is recording in Sam. You should see a wave form in sam: can you play it back OK? What drivers are you using. Check they are correctly configured in Sam -(press \"y\", or Options>system audio, also Playback>playback options). If your S/C output is digital for GS, try using an analog output for Sam monitoring/playback, in which case you need to select a suitable driver under playback options (I\'m afraid I\'m not familiar with your S/C).

Hi Beckers,

Thanks for the help!!!
    Well to tell the truth, I\'m not really sure what the best way to go about this, any suggestions will be appreciated. The goal is, I want to record the midi keyboard live along with other mic\'d acoustic instruments. Last night I found a work around. Recording the audio first in Sam (acoustic guitar) Then while listening to the guitar, from sam recording the midi into GS and converting midi to wave then syncing up that piano track to the guitar track. This is not really how I wanted to do it, bit it works. If you know the best way to record midi live into sam thru GS please advise.

You asked if I was recording audio in sam not midi. I was recording midi into sam. I was getting midi to the sam track, I just could not hear the output, I could see the meters jumping in sam and giga. I was thinking that it was an output configuration problem. I have tried about every combination.

I am using the latest drivers from RME (hammerfall 9652) I have updated GS as well.

I will try an analog output for sam playback and get back to you.

Thanks a million for your help. This is a great site!!

Robert

Hi,

I tried again to get gs and sam talking and I made some headway. The problem that I am having right now is that while I\'m recording into sam there is no sound from GS. In othere words with GS open and sam open, I can play my keybaord and I am getting sound, as soon as I try and record , no sound. I can record MIDI data into sam and playback the midi notes ok. I have tried using the thru setting for playback and I have playback while recording enabled. I don\'t know what to try next. Can anyone help!!!!

Thanks,

Robert

You say you see GS responding to MIDI input whilst Sam is recording MIDI, so it can\'t be a MIDI problem. When you record MIDI into Sam it simultaneously activates the audio driver for recording. So perhaps there\'s a driver conflict with GSIF. Did you try selecting a different driver in Sam? You probably have different MME drivers installed to work with different SC ports, as well as an ASIO driver. Try fiddling with those in sam. Also check the routing in the SC. Also check the the sample rate under sam record options (if set to other than 44.1, maybe your SC is automatically locking on to that rate from recorded noise and then not playing GS\'s 44.1 kHz.)

I love it when people ask me stuff I know a lot about, but I\'m afraid this is not one of those occasions. Next time ask something about Health or Geography

Thanks Beckers,

You say you see GS responding to MIDI input whilst Sam is recording MIDI, so it can\'t be a MIDI problem.

What I meant was first I got the MIDI keyboard sound working in GS, then from GS I open SAM, I verify that the MIDI instrument is still working (I can hear the sound) Then I record in Sam. At this point I can no longer hear the sound.

So perhaps there\'s a driver conflict with GSIF. Did you try selecting a different driver in Sam?

I am using the ASIO driver for audio in sam. I wasn\'t aware that I could/needed to enable ASIO for audio and MME for MIDI. Is this what I should try? I have ASIO enabled for all ports, I was under the impression that ASIO was much more efficient.

You probably have different MME drivers installed to work with different SC ports, as well as an ASIO driver. Try fiddling with those in sam.

Also check the routing in the SC.

Have you ever checked out the routing capability in the 9652? I think everything is setup ok, but I\'ll check.

Also check the the sample rate under sam record options (if set to other than 44.1

It\'s set to 44.1

maybe your SC is automatically locking on to that rate from recorded noise and then not playing GS\'s 44.1 kHz.)

Thanks Beckers,

I appreciate your great answers.

Robert

Originally posted by mix4u:
    What I meant was first I got the MIDI keyboard sound working in GS, then from GS I open SAM, I verify that the MIDI instrument is still working (I can hear the sound) Then I record in Sam. At this point I can no longer hear the sound.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So can you still see GS responding to midi (MIDI Mixer level meter, voices dialog) WHILST you are recording with sam. If not, your problem is a MIDI port conflict. What interface are you using? Your SC? How many MIDI ports? Is sam selecting the same MIDI port as GS? Try disabling MIDI in sam (MIDI options) and recording GS audio output via your mixer. If this works it must be a MIDI problem and you may need a MIDI loopback device.

Originally posted by mix4u:

I am using the ASIO driver for audio in sam. I wasn\'t aware that I could/needed to enable ASIO for audio and MME for MIDI. Is this what I should try? I have ASIO enabled for all ports, I was under the impression that ASIO was much more efficient.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No no. MME is an alternative audio driver. The MIDI driver is seperate. If the problem is in audio it is worth selecting an MME driver under Options > system audio > driver system, and record options and playback options (drop down menu under \"device\"). -You need to open a file to get the menu bar. If your ASIO driver was a recent update and you no longer have the MME, check your original installation CD, or the website for old downloads (check it is WDM compatible and select sam setting accordingly). ASIO drivers are \"better\" with low latency and allow multichannel recording but it is just possible it is conflicting with GSIF.

I don\'t own the RME, but I play one on TV...

mix4u, I just peeked at the RME site and noticed the following in their spec list:

\"The Hammerfall series offers drivers for Windows 98/ME (MME with multi-client operation, ASIO 2.0, GSIF), Windows NT and Windows 2000/XP (full multi-client operation of MME, GSIF and ASIO 2.0), MacOS (ASIO 2.0) and Linux (ALSA.)\"

I didn\'t see an answer to the following in this thread: what OS are you using? If it\'s 98 or ME, then you\'re going to have a problem, since only multi-client MME is supported on those platforms. There should be no problem running an audio/MIDI sequencer side-by-side with GigaStudio, even if they use different drivers on separate outputs -- but the drivers must definately support multi-client access, otherwise one or the other app will \"steal\" the whole device (all channels, I would assume).

- Keith

Go Back to forum