• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Having music recorded by a European orchestra?

Share/Bookmark

Having music recorded by a European orchestra?

Hi.
    I remember reading a while back about a studio here in LA which offers teleconfrencing service while you have your music recorded by a european orchestra. I think it was Prague. Does anyone have any information on this kind of situation or one similar?
    Thanks,
    Jamey

Re: Having music recorded by a European orchestra?

Write Gary Garritan or post in his forum. I recall reading that he knows a great deal about the process. Good luck, and be sure to share your results.

Prague is right. It's called Forte Music, and it's about $1500 an hour (which means the musicians are getting paid less than burger-flippers in this country). I heard a cue they did today. The orchestra didn't sound like a Los Angeles studio orchestra, but it wasn't too bad.

I seem to remember some Jerry Goldsmith anecdotes about Prague, I think, and other Eastern European orchestral sessions. He thought the musicians were ok, but the studio acoustics were shyte. Once, he recorded an entire score (Total Recall) in E Europe (can't remember which orch) on the cheap, but the results were was so bad, he begged the producers to pay the extra to have it re-recorded in London. They heard the tapes and agreed on the spot. This was about 15 years ago. To be fair, things (acoustics, techniques etc) have apparently improved a lot since.

There's nothing wrong with recording in Prague - a lot of film scores are done there. And there's more than one studio.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the Forte Music session I heard in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    Hi.
    I remember reading a while back about a studio here in LA which offers teleconfrencing service while you have your music recorded by a european orchestra. I think it was Prague. Does anyone have any information on this kind of situation or one similar?
    Thanks,
    Jamey
    Jamey,

A few years back I wrote a feature in Electronic Musician specifiacally about hiring overseas orchestras. Here is a link to the article.

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_real_thing/index.html

Since the writing, more orchestras have become available although prices have gone up as well. It is still far less costly to record an orchestra in Eastern Europe.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Jamey,

A few years back I wrote a feature in Electronic Musician specifiacally about hiring overseas orchestras. Here is a link to the article.

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_real_thing/index.html

Since the writing, more orchestras have become available although prices have gone up as well. It is still far less costly to record an orchestra in Eastern Europe.

Gary Garritan
    I don't know. I read the article and started to get flashes of child labor camps making knit stockings for 5 dollars a day.

I hope the prices have gone up considerably.

So you paid about $50/man for 9 hours of reheasal and 28 min of recording. Man they must of been really hungry.

Maybe we should discuss the ethical ramifications of this too. No wonder they aren't excited about record film scores. You bet they must know that musicians in the west are getting anywhere from $150/hour to $750/hr for the same work. I bet they feel a bit demoralized.

I think that anybody going there should at least pay low budget union scale. I mean this conductor workshop is a great idea, but on a commercial project where people stand to make a good deal of cash, isn't it kind of wrong on all fronts to exploit music labor like that?

I have a funny feeling inside about this

Jose

I'm starting to get weird flashbacks to the conversation about wages in Twain's Connecticut Yankee. Good greif.

Post Re: Having music recorded by a European orchestra?

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    Hi.
    Thanks,
    Jamey
    The rates paid to European recording orchestras is standard considering the cost and standards of living in those respective countries. There is little point comparing what the players get in Europe to what musicians are paid in the U.S. It will quite obviously appear to be extremely cheap to those in the U.S., while it is standard fare for those working in European countries. This is strictly a by product of exchange rates and does not reflect on the players nor on their situation.

Regarding the orchestras themselves, they are excellent and well worth looking into. I have personally used them on two occasions and have been very pleased with the results. Furthermore, Forte Music's service is terrific and very reliable. The whole process of the virtual session is amazing and as I mentioned, works flawlessly and gives the sensation of actually being in the control room on the other side of the glass facing the orchestra. The crew Forte hires is capable and they deliver excellent quality audio in high resolution formats.

The European orchestras deliver very high quality performances, perhaps not rivaling the Hollywood Studio Orchestra but then again, if a project has the budget for the HSO, then there would not be a discussion here about utilizing the City of Prague Philharmonic. The discussion being whether it is feasible to use European orchestras for film and television work in the U.S. and whether or not specialty services like Forte Music are viable and the answer is yes on both counts. Bear in mind that the City of Prague Phil has been used by both American and European composers such as Michael Kamen, Elmer Bernstein, Wojiech Kilar and many others for years, with excellent results. In the end, the performance has to do with the capability of the composer, conductor and the competent orchestration and preparation of the score. The orchestras will deliver.

The $1595 rate per hour made mention of here is for 50 musicians. There is a 3 hour session minimum. Much larger ensembles up to 90 or 100 players can be assembled as can an SATB choir. As with American orchestras, you will average 3 - 4 minutes of recorded music per hour, with the average being a little less for the choir.

Best,

Kaveh Cohen

www.kavehcohen.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC
    There is little point comparing what the players get in Europe to what musicians are paid in the U.S.
    Don't forget that we're talking EASTERN Europe here. Players in The Netherlands, Germany, France and the UK get paid a lot more than that.

Go Back to forum