• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Love Theme for FilmScore

Share/Bookmark

Love Theme for FilmScore

Every instrument included is GPO except the piano..........

I am working with a Mac G4 1.5 GB CPU and 1 GB of RAM and trying to get Gary's Steinway (lite or otherwise) was a little much for me to bite off. The piano is from the Alesis S4 Plus sound module (Sound Card actually that has 8 MB of piano sounds).

This was the first time that I actually converted the sound of a MIDI sound module into an audio file. Interesting.............as I am newbie to audio and computers, but it sure is fun.

Would appreciate any suggestions to make this better and learn a little more about GPO. Here is the "Love Theme."

http://cannonscores.com/LoveTheme.mp3

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Love Theme for FilmScore

kinda schmalzy for my taste. Descending bass lines as a compositional device tend to come off sacharin. The piano sound is a bit thin, but then again it's only 8MB. I'd fade the strings in a bit more instead of having them just up and start.

But this is well structured and competently put together. This is the kind of music that, if pared with the right Abu Graib slide show, would make for wonderful contrast. That's where i see this heading...

This reminds me of that Air Supply song they use on the "Ghostbusters" soundtrack.

Sure it's a bit schmaltzy, but it IS a love theme. Pretty melody, but I most like the orchestration. Nice touch to the 'plain-ol-piano-pretty-love-theme.' I was thinking that a bit more expression control/dynamics would add to the piece, possibly pulling the listener in more at times.
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

It is a very beautiful piano theme, I hope that sometime in the future you will be able to render it again with GPO's piano! I also enjoyed the dynamics of the strings.

Also, this is entirely opinion, just me being picky . . . but when the flute comes in for the first time, could you see how it sounds as the oboe? The flute sounds great the second time, but again, it's just me being picky

Thanks for sharing! If I wasn't such a compositional newbie myself, my feedback might've been more constructive . . . but I do like this piece!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Metrobot:

Your suggestion to fade in the strings a bit more on first entry is well taken. I will do that immediately. Thanks for the compliment about the piece being "well-constructed and competently put together. Very motivating remarks.

BrassPig:

Thank you for your suggestion about inserting more expression control/dynamics. I will look through the score carefully and see if I can insert more of what you suggest.

Sean:

Good points! I will try to use the GPO piano in future versions of this piece. Also, your point of using the oboe instead of the flute at first entry is a great idea. Will incorporate that immediately.

Again, thanks to all. I appreciate your time and helpful suggestions.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

yea, what they said

Great love theme Jack! I too especially like the idea of an Oboe first.

dpDan

You did a remarkable job...very pleasing indeed.

Piano has to go, replace with GPO Steinway-D.

Nice job you should be proud of your efforts.

Paul O.
    Windows XP-pro SP2, Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz, 2GB RAM
    GPO & Finale 2005b.r1

Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful. -- Plato

Thank you for sharing your piece. My most humble comments. . .

From a compositional point of view . . . . It's a lovely love song. It works. Nicely written.

From an arranging/sequencing point of view. . . . Gosh! Please understand that I'm listened to your piece (and several others) through computer speakers that leave MUCH to be desired. Simply put, these are cheap and crappy speakers attached to the computer I use at work. But hey. . . it's something and your piece sounded lovely even through these speakers. But, after reading the above comments after I listened to your piece, I can see why people are suggesting that you use another piano sound. I thought it was a harp sound at first!!!! (LOL!!) I guess you need a different piano sound?!?!?

Nice work!

Respectfully,

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

John -

This definitely fits as a film score love theme. It's beautiful and dreamy. I can see montages of the main couple falling further and further in love with each meeting until finally they kiss and then the camera dissolves to the next scene (end of love theme). Very nice.

I have an Alesis S4+ sound module. I love it. The piano fits very well with the other instruments.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast