• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quartet for Oboe, Violin, Cello, and Piano, op. 22

Share/Bookmark

Quartet for Oboe, Violin, Cello, and Piano, op. 22

Here is something I started a while back. I have now completed Movement I and II. There will be a third movement soon!

(Comments and Crits welcome)

I. Ridgetop

II. Black Mountain

III. Natchez Trace
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Quartet for Oboe, Violin, Cello, and Piano, op. 22

Nice work! I enjoyed the contrast between the energetic, vivacious first movement and the tranquility of the second.

Is this piece inspired by actual locations? Just wondering - there is a Black Mountain near where I live.

Thanks for sharing!!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Yes, it is inspired by actual locations. I live near Ridgetop in TN. The Black Mountain I am referring to is near or in Virginia. A buddy and I were taking the scenic route back from North Carolina through Johnson City, TN and passed it. Is that the one near you?
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Here is the final movement to this piece titled "Natchez Trace" after the famous road in Tennessee and Alabama.

Hope you guys enjoy. C&C welcome.

III. Natchez Trace
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

I guess I should give this one last little -bump- before it falls to the second page without any more comments.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I guess I should give this one last little -bump- before it falls to the second page without any more comments.
    I have just listened to the first movement and really enjoyed it. I'll be back for more. Right now I've a few acres of grass to cut (the first cut of the season - Aaaagh) and by the time I've finished, I'll be ready for a cool drink and the second movement.

Thanks for listening. I look forward to your comments.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

I haven't been able to listen to any demos for a while. Finally got a chance to listen. As usual I really enjoy your work. Sounds a little more traditional and tonal than some of your work. Either that I'm suffering side effects of playing Penderecki in my car over and over as I drive, particularly his stuff from the early 60s...
    Trent P. McDonald

Jess,

Wonderful works! I listened to all three and enjoyed the different sonic landscapes you created. Well developed themes and arrangements.

Looking forward to hearing the third movement.

Thanks for posting these and I hope you don't mind if they find their way into Joseph's new GPO demo player.

Gary Garritan

PS: Perhaps an alto bassoon coming in GPO advanced?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

@Gary: Alto bassoon eh? A really good friend of mine is a bassoonist and I have not heard of that one... and I even went to the Popkin/Glickman Bassoon Camp with him one year. If I had my druthers, I would beg for classical saxes. That way, with euphoniums and cornets (are those on the slate?) I could start working on band music. This genre can be very lucrative for composers wanting to be published. It is interesting how few instruments need be added to have a full symphonic band. It would be like two packages in one. hint. hint.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast