• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Distant dry samples--good idea?

Share/Bookmark

Distant dry samples--good idea?

In a thread I started a while ago to get ideas for a sample library that I hope to create, 'Poll: What do you look for in a sample library', the topic of recording rooms rose up. Some people said that I shold record in a real hall because (especially in the strings) certain noises (like bow noise) smooth out in natural ambience, unlike 'fake' reverbs. But that would lower the versatility, because you would only be able have your orchestra play in one hall. If I did close dry samples, ff bow scratches and noise would be terrible and the player I would be sampling would have to adjust his/her playing style so the noise would be softened, and that would take away a certain amount of realism.
    So what we want is a sample with bow noise that's been smoothed out by distance, and dryness for versatility. Then I thought of my big, long carpeted vaulted-ceilingded living room. If I put the instrumentalist at one end and the mics at the other, I would have just that--a distant dry sample!
    Some people perfer the bow noise and close samples, so I could do a version with that too.

Is this a good idea?

Chris

Re: Distant dry samples--good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Then I thought of my big, long carpeted vaulted-ceilingded living room. If I put the instrumentalist at one end and the mics at the other, I would have just that--a distant dry sample!
    Some people perfer the bow noise and close samples, so I could do a version with that too.

Is this a good idea?

Chris
    Your living room? Your bass trapped, absorption panel'd living room without windows?

I'm not sure the acoustics you are describing would be considered "dry". Thin absorbers, like carpet, tend to create the impression of dryness by removing the high frequencies. The room you describe will still have plenty of lower end and possibly mid, ambience.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    Your living room? Your bass trapped, absorption panel'd living room without windows?
    Gee, thanks!!!!!!

Ok, say I somehow get a large dead room. Would that work?

Chris

then you'd be limited to you're orchestra playing on your big, long carpeted vaulted-ceilingded living room, with only added reverb.

You may limit yourself too putting one box into another box.
    I'd suggest doing some tests, and finding what works best for you and people's ears you trust.

I'm not saying your living room wont work, I've actually heard some awesome things come out of living room recording sessions (including orchestral instruments).

Test away and make a benchmark that you are tyring to reach. Thats the only way to be happy with your own results.

You also may want to look into making instrument resonance impulses for string instruments, it may be a way to minimize Bow artifacts, by maximize the amount of resonance you can add in. Or record with two mic setups in phase, using one to focus on capturing resonance and one to focus on bow noise.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Gee, thanks!!!!!!

Ok, say I somehow get a large dead room. Would that work?

Chris
    That's basically what VSL's Silent Stage is.

I voted for dry sounds rather than really wet. By that I didn't necessarily mean "vacuum dry" recordings. My point was being able to send the sample through a synthetic acoustics generator without having a recorded ambience in the sample that adds to it. VSL's stuff does a great job from that perspective, but there is room for a little bit more ambience in the samples than VSL has without it getting in the way. VSL is really dry.

Recording outdoors in a wide open space (if you can find a quiet enough place for that) would be an interesting idea. That would mean no early reflections at all
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Lightbulb Re: Distant dry samples--good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Recording outdoors in a wide open space (if you can find a quiet enough place for that) would be an interesting idea. That would mean no early reflections at all
    Hmmmmm...........
    Woods reverb.
    (I live in the middle of nowhere, so we've got quiet a forest in our backyard)
    Winter woods
    Winter woods with snow
    Summer woods
    Interesting........
    I've played my cello in the woods in the middle of the night (well, morning!) 'cause I couldn't sleep when there were no cars, kids, or animal noises. It was quite eerie, but the echo was downright MAGNIFICENT!!!
    Then I tried it with the flute playing, of course, Morning is Broken. Again, magnificent sound.
    I like it!
    Now all I have to do is become nocternal!

One thing I REALLY like about this forum is that it REALLY gets my creative juices going.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Well, I guess that's not entirely true. Depending on the type of surface it still gets reflected on that. You could record on a beach, but it comes with ocean sounds....and the desert comes with sandstorms ;-)

record underwater
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Go Back to forum